Mesh vs. Tummy Tuck Method for Laparoscopic Repair of Diastasis Recti, Which Would Be Best?

I have to make a decision to have Laparoscopic repair of diastasis recti with mesh v/s tummy tuck method. My diastasis recti is not so big (2.5cm) but I have symptoms. I have a 32 inch waist now. I am 145 lbs, 5ft 5inches, male. What are the pros and cons of both methods? Does anyone have before and after photos of laparoscopic repair of diastasis recti patients? Thank you.

+2

Great question, very hard to answer. If as other posters state no excess skin than a Lap mesh repair might solve the issue. But I would bet most boarded OSs would recommend exposure of the diatasis via an open incision like a TT . 

Excess skin will require a tummy tuck

+2

This is difficult to answer without seeing your photos or examining you in person.  If you have excess skin you will benefit from a tummy tuck- which will also tighten your rectus diastasis. If you simply have a rectus diastasis with no excess skin than repair of the weakness (with or without mesh) may be sufficient. You can ask your health insurance carrier if this will be covered as well.

You should consult with a board certified surgeon to see if you are a good candidate for either procedure.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy tuck vs diastasis repair alone

+2

It comletely depends on whether or not you have skin excess and laxity that needs to be removed.  We also will often remove some excess fat around the sides for contouring purposes with a tummy tuck.  Your surgeon should be able to assess whether you are a candidate for a tummy tuck or not. Insurance will probably not cover a tummy tuck.  I'm not sure if your insurance will cover a diastasis repair with mesh.  If you do not have a very wide diastasis and no actual defect in the fascia then you may not even need mesh- just a plication.  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Depends on whether you have excess skin and fat

+2

If you do not have excess of abdominal skin (pannus) - a laproscopic mesh repair from the internal abdomen (peritoneal) side of the abdominal wall should yield excellent results.  However, if you do have an abdominal pannus, a traditional abdominoplasty with rectus plication will yield excellent results.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

If you want your muscles and the skin tighten you need a tummy tuck

+1

We don't have your picture. But if you want the skin and the muscles to be tight you need a tummy tuck, a mesh is to cover a hernia but will not make your tummy tight or flatter. You have a hernia or diastasis??

Gloria de Olarte, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon