Lap Band Slipped, Could I Have the Sleeve Done?

I had the lap band over 1 1/2 yrs ago, and have lost 120lbs. I recently found out that it has slipped, and I need to have surgery again to have it repositioned. However, after some research it seems as though the possibility of a slip again after it being repositioned is high. Would it be beneficial to have the gastric sleeve instead of having the band repositioned? I am worried about another slip or possible erosion down the road and having to have ANOTHER surgery done.

Converting to Gastric Sleeve After the Lap-Band

+1

Our experience is that patients are able to maintain their weight loss after having the band repositioned and we would normally recommend that as the preferred approach.  Converting to sleeve gastrectomy is an option, but the risks of leakage have been shown to be higher when the sleeve is done as a revision procedure.  I would recommend that you have a full discussion about the options and risks before deciding on which approach makes the most sense for you.

Mississauga Bariatric Surgeon

Revision of a slipped Lap Band

+1

Revision of a slipped lap band is an acceptable option and should be considered in a pt with recurrent obesity.  Most of the time even with a minor slip, a surgeon can remove the lap band and perform a sleeve gastrectomy in the same setting. Repositioning of the lap band is usually not recommended. Depending on your BMI and co-morbidities your surgeon may choose a conservative approach rather than a revision to a sleeve.

Ricardo M. Bonnor, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon

Conversion from gastric band to gastric sleeve

+1

Your situation is not uncommon. I am evaluating a lot of patients who have had problem with their band. I recommend converting to a sleeve where medically feasible. If you qualify for a gastric sleeve procedure, I highly recommend it to you.

Monali Misra, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Bariatric Surgeon