Am I a Candidate for Lap Band?

Hello I live in Louisiana and I am an 18 year old female. I am very over weight and I have tried dieting several times but I didn't lose any weight I gained more. I am hypoglycemic and I have to take sugar tablets. I have a family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetics. I heard about lap band and I have read all the reviews and seen all the results from other people. So I want advice from lap doctors if they think lap band would benefit me and my future.

Bariatric surgery Candidate

+1
to be a candidate for surgery need to have a BMI of over 40 or 35 related to obesity or between 30 to 35 but with a very uncontrolled disease like diabetes. Basically we need to know your weight and height to calculate it.

Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon

Can a doctor really give good advice based on a 95-word history? NO!

+1
Heather

You haven't told us how tall you are or how much you weigh.  Are you 30 pounds overweight, or 300 pounds overweight?  We would need this information to know if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery.

You need to be evaluated by a qualified bariatric surgeon.  You should find a surgeon who does more than one operation, too.  You don't want to have a particular operation just because it's the only one the doctor does.  Most surgeons have abandoned the LapBAND operation because results are poor, patient satisfaction is low, and most bands eventually need to be removed.

Mark Pleatman, MD
Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon