Are my implants too large for my body?

I am 34yr old 5'7" and 137lbs. I'm very active, work out and play soccer. My chest measures 13 inches. My PS used a moderate profile saline implant placed under muscle. He filled each implant to 490cc. I'm concerned because they look very large on my body and I have noticed that the implant is in my armpit area. It's to a point where I can't see my arm pits! I am 8 days post op.

Implants too Big?

+2
It is difficult to comment on your implant size without pictures.  Only you and your plastic surgeon can decide if your implants are appropriate for your size.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS,FACS

Wait 3-4 months before assessing results

+1
You should wait about 3-4 months after your surgery before assessing your results. Swelling may be hiding your results and making you look larger than you should be. In addition, your implants haven't settled, yet.

If at 3-4 months you still dislike your results, you can consider revision surgery.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Are breast implants too large

+1
Thank you for your question about breast augmentation.

• I am sorry you are worried after your breast augmentation,
  • I assume your chest width is 13 cm (not inches...easy typo)
  • I checked the Allergan moderate profile saline implants for a 13 cm chest width - your implant should fit your chest, which is good,
  • You are swollen, the size will go down,
  • They sound as though they are riding high, as saline implants do under the muscle.
  • Give the implants six weeks to settle down and swelling to subside.
  • If they still seem too big for you, discuss replacement with smaller implants in 6 months,
  • You may by then be happy with the result and keep what you have! Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Implants seem too large

+1
A 8 days post op it is way too early to assess final shape and size due to swelling and the natural tendency of implants "drop" into the pocket over time. Final shape and position can take up to three months.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Implants at 8 days

+1
At 8 days out from surgery, the implants are more than likely high, and you have to give them several weeks to months to drop. If concerned contact your doctor.

Swelling

+1
It is very common to be swollen after surgery.  This can take a few months to completely settle down.  Make sure you follow up with you plastic surgeon to make sure the implants have no migrated to the axilla.  Good luck!

Adam Saad, MD
Atlantic City Plastic Surgeon

Concerns eight days after breast augmentation

+1
  • It takes time after breast augmentation to achieve your final contour and shape. I recommend my patients not be overly concerned for 6 to 8 weeks. I would suggest you continue to follow with your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns with him or her. Remember with a breast augmentation you are only adding volume and not adding any extra skin or elasticity does take some time to develop and to achieve your final contour.

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation results after 8 days.

+1
There is a lot of swelling still present at 8 days.  Your breasts will change greatly over the next several weeks.  Try to be patient and not draw any conclusions about your results at this time.  Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  She will be able to assess the situation and tell you were it is going.

Timothy Connall, MD