Moderate Plus or High Profile for Widely Spaced Breasts?

I am set for my BA on the 28th and must decide NOW what I want! I am 20 years old, 5'3, 130 lbs, 34b. I will be getting 400 cc High Profile Saline Implants. I want to achieve a Full C/D. Should I tell my surgeon that I want a smallee volume in moderate profile instead of 400cc HP? I can't fit 400cc mod and that's why were going with HP. But I DO NOT want awkward looking balls on my chest that are spaced apart! I do want a natural look but also round so I don't mind HP. What do I do!

Choosing implants

+2

Hello. The most important factors for determining the size of implants that could be used on a patient include width of the base of the breast, the size of your thorax and the amount of breast tissue and skin you have. Once a surgeon has this information he could better educate you on what type of implants would work best for you.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Sizing breast implants

+1

I'm sorry for your anxiety.  I would advise you that the answer to your question needs to be in the context of an in person consultation- all advice you are going to get on the internet for an issue such as this will not be individualized enough.

Additionally, I'm confused by the necessity for you to choose your implant immediately.  In my practice, I spend a lot of time with my patients in sizing, utilizing various implant sizers in a bra in order to assess their wishes.  At that point we are looking for the shape the patient wants, not perseverating on the size of the implants chosen.  Once I see the look the patient is hoping for, we make a general notation of the implant sizer that provides this appearance.

In the operating room, during the operation, I will then again use temporary sizers to see what various implants look like once they are in place- this can be quite different from the look of a sizer on top of the breast.  The idea is to achieve the look the patient wants, not simply place a specific implant.  

Your surgeon should be working WITH you to figure out the best implant for your situation.  If that is not the case, I would recommend getting another opinion as it is a crucial part of the consultation and pre-operative process.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Sizing implants

+1

You are all over the place.  First, pick your implant by measuring your DIAMETER of the breast.  Then, try on some implants for VOLUME.  Go to the chart and match those numbers up.  The most natural look will be with the proper diameter, volume is of secondary importance.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Moderate Plus or High Profile Implants for Widely Spaced Breasts

+1

In general, the answer to this depends upon a multitude of considerations, diameter of the implant, chest wall width, spacing in cm, areolar position, etc.  All of these issues can be sorted out in a few seconds by the plastic surgeon and the appropriate implant size and profile chosen.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs HUNDREDS of breast augmentations each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Correction of Widely-Spaced Breasts: Choosing the Right Implant

+1

The correction of widely-spaced breasts with breast implants is a reliable and excellent approach with minimal scarring.  It is important that the diameter of the implant approaches the diameter of the breast and the space between your breastbone and outer rib area.  If you wish to create closer cleavage, the implant must be wide enough to fill the the breast and fill in the cleavage area.  In many patients with widely-spaced breasts who wish saline, I use moderate profile implants.  If a patient has a narrow chest, a moderate plus implant may work well.   High profile implants are quite narrow and give a good deal of projection.  These implants tend to give less upper breast fullness in the long run and when large and saline, tend to drop or "bottom-out" in some patients.  I rarely use saline high profile implants, but in the right patient, use silicone gel high profile implants.  These are best for patients with a narrow chest who desire a good deal of projection.  There are some nice examples of how widely separated breasts can be corrected on the website with a link attached.

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Since there are no photos, it is dificult to answer your question.I usually measure the base diameter of your chest wall and match it to an implant. High vs moderate profile is more of a personal choice where you want the definition.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Implant choice is essential

+1

Without seeing a picture or your base diameter it is difficult to comment. My personal preference is to never use saline. The newer silicone implants look and feel much more natural. They also don't deflate and have a lower contracture rate. Regarding the profile, I almost never use High Profile. They look very unnatural and can cause pressure into your chest wall. If you are uncertain about your choice, you might consult with an additional surgeon. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

HP vs MP+

+1

The real issues here are the diameter of the implant and the projection of the implant.  The high profile implant has way more projection for the same volume than the corresponding moderate or low profile implant.  The volume is kept constant by reducing the diameter.  Therefore, first decide on how much projection you like.

Next, to avoid far apart implants you need to pick the correct diameter.  Note that when saline implants are "overfilled" beyond the minimum volume, the implant projection increases while the diameter tends to decrease, within limits.  This gives flexibility.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Selecting the correct implant volume and profile

+1

Breast implants now  come in three different profiles, low, moderate and high.  Prior to 2000 they only came in a  low profile.  The breast implant manufacturers responded to requests by plastic surgeons to develop implants with different profiles.  This allows us to match the base diameter of the breast while achieving the desired breast volume for the patient. If you want to be very round go with the high profile implant.  If your desire is for a as much medial fullness as possible then the moderate plus implants at the same volume range would be the best choice for you. Your plastic surgeon should be able to help you make the correct decision based on your anatomy and body shape.  

400 cc implants?

+1

I think that after you an your doctor have discussed the probably implant size based upon your anatomy and desires, a baggy test at home may alleviate your concerns.  HP's are used for narrow patients.