Should the tech have rubbed my armpits with alcohol rubs after Botox for hypohidrosis?

It's very unlike me, but I didn't do a lot of research before this because I just need the sweating to stop. After the doc left, the tech said she would "clean me up," and rubbed a lot on my armpits with alcohol swabs trying to remove the pen dots. Everything I've read says they shouldn't be rubbed. Should I contact the doctor and talk to him about this? He might not even realize she's doing it. I don't want the toxins spreading!

+2

Cleaning and rubbing alcohol to your underarms after treatment would not have any effect on your results

Alcohol rubbed on my armpits after Botox for Hyperhidrosis

+2

First you have HYPERhidrosis, not HYPO. Hypo would mean that you don't sweat enough. Second, we tell people not to rub their faces and press on the injected areas after Botox injections. The injections are done differently when they are done into the underarms for hyperhidrosis. Cleaning the area afterwards is just fine - it won't affect your results.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Armpits rubbed after Botox treatment

+2

The rubbing that would occur from using alcohol swabs to clean the area after a Botox treatment to your underarms should not cause any problems. Your final result should not be affected.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cleaning the Botox treated area with alcohol after treatment

+1
Alcohol is sometimes used to clean before and even after an area is treated to clean the area and minimize any risk of infection, and to remove blood (e.g. when used after). It will have ZERO impact on the Botox and your hyperhidrosis treatment result.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for hyperhidrosis

+1
It is perfectly normal to clean the skin after Botox Therapeutic for hyperhidrosis and no problem if the areas were rubbed.  Rubbing may give a more even spread of the Botox which is preferable in the underarm area.  

You should not rub Botox Cosmetic done in specific areas of the face since we do not want to spread the Botox in this type of treatment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox post-treatment care

+1

No need to worry - for hyperhidrosis, rubbing the axilla after treatment with Botox will have no effect on the result

Donald B. Yoo, MD