Off of Prednisone 4 Months (Was on It for Six) Will I See Results with Coolsculpt?

I was on prednisone for six months at doses as high as 60 mg then tapered off over time , last dose was Oct 24, had to have another dose during hysterectomy surgery Dec 14. I told the plastic surgeon this, he still said I was a good candidate. I am at six weeks and no results. Will I see results, if so , when?

Prednisone and Coolsculpting

+1
While it is possible that the coolsculpting procedure did not work for you, it is extremely rare for the procedure to not be successful. Prednisone can increase the body's retention of fat and water so you may see a delay in seeing the results and/or have lesser results than others may have.

The greatest failure is the failure for the coolsculpting center to set proper proper expectation of when change occurs, and how much change to expect. Many patients will observe changes after 3 weeks, with most noting the most change from 6 weeks to 2 months. In a rare case, it may take up to 4 months to see a benefit. 20% of the fat cells of the treated area will be eliminated for each treatment.

The other common failures is poor patient selection (e.g. patient does not have pinchable fat to treat) or inability to have proper expectations set . In some cases, patients have gained weight that hid the benefits of the treatment.

Consult with your treating physician so he can review your treatment and the before and after photos.

Coolsculpting only works on the abdomen for fat reduction above the muscle

+1

If you gained weight by developing fat around the intestinal tract behind the abdominal muscle wall, the CoolSculpting will not address this. CoolSculpting freezes and kills fat cells above the muscle wall. Your doctor should be able to tell you where the bulk of your fat is and determine if you were an ideal Coolsculpting patient. It is possible that fluid retention may interfere with seeing the improvement that you do have and it may take a while longer to be obvious.

Ronald Shelton, MD

3 Months byVillar

+1

Prednisone is rapidly absorbed across the GI  membrane following oral administration. Peak effects can be observed after 1—2 hours. The circulating drug binds extensively to the plasma proteins albumin and transcortin, with only the unbound portion of a dose active. Systemic prednisone is quickly distributed into the kidneys, intestines, skin, liver and muscle. Corticosteroids distribute into the breastmilk and cross the placenta. Prednisone is metabolized by the liver to the active metabolite prednisolone, which is then further metabolized to inactive compounds. These inactive metabolites, as well as a small portionof unchanged drug, are excreted in the urine. The plasma elimination half-life is 1 hour whereas the biological half-life of prednisone is 18—36 hours.  

We are still in the learning curve about drug interactions with coolsculpting. I use 3 months after steroid use before treatment and 3 months after treatment to judge efficacy of the treatment.  We will eventually have enough data to get evidence based answers.  Best wishes. Knowledge is power.  Luis F. Villar MD FACS

Luis Villar, MD

CoolSculpting Results

+1
You can expect to see the full results in about 4 months, as the body's process of removing the fat is gradual and accomplished over time, so the complete changes aren't immediate. Estimates are that the CoolSculpting effects should last between 10-15 years, especially in those patients who maintain normal weight levels.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

CoolSculpting Results

+1

CoolSculpting is a great new way to remove fat non-surgically. I suppose it may not work in everybody but I have never seen this. It is important to have realistic expectations. It will not provide liposuction-type results. Nevertheless, I have not seen an unhappy patient in hundreds of treatments. Hopefully your physician took careful photos. If you go back for post-treatment photos, you might be surprised to find that you actually do look slimmer. We all tend to miss changes in our appearances when they occur gradually.

William M. Ramsdell, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon