Is It Too Late to Re-excise a Moderate Atypia Mole?

10 months ago I had a mole removed from my back that was moderate atypia. I was supposed to have it re-excise to make sure they got it all, but I didn't. Is it too late? Also, in the scar there are 2 tiny reddish pink holes or divets that look like tiny needle marks. Is that normal? Other than that it is a whitish scar.

Re-excising a moderately atypical mole

+2

As a moderately atypical mole is a precancerous lesion, it is essential that it is completely removed for safety reasons. Logic dictates that the sooner the better for the procedure. Being 10 months later is very unlikely to be "too late" as the transformation to a cancerous growth is usually very gradual. However, it is best not to delay any further. You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Removal of an atypical mole - atypia

+1

Atypical moles can degenerate at an unpredictable rate.  I would advise you to go back to your physician and have the mole re-excised sooner than later. I perform these in my Los Angeles plastic surgery office under local anesthesia.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Mole removal

+1

If your physician recommended that you have the mole re-excised, you should follow-up with them as soon as possible.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Re-excising a mole

+1

If they told you to come back for a re-excision and you didn't do it, my first answer is rebook as soon as you can. There was a reason that a further excision was needed, and now, more of an area may need to be excised, but stop waiting and book it! They can evaluate the scar when you are in the office, but when they are re-excising it, that will most likely be removed anyway.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD