What is The Worst That Could Happen After Butt Implants? Can They Explode?

So I ruled out fat transfer cause I'm so thin. I want butt implants its hard to find any useful information out there on them... In the news recently this girl's butt implants exploded It seems like they where professionally done in California... What are the chances of this happening to me. I have Extremely thin skin also. Is there more of a chance of anything going wrong with my butt and hip implants because of these factors. FYI - I have a past of breast implants bottoming out. at 850cc's

Buttock Augmentation Options

+2

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere.   There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak).  Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.  Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.  Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs causing serious problems breathing. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred.

Thus buttock implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice).  I prefer to insert the implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks).  The implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle.  In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.  Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure.  And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%.  Hope this helps…RAS

Gluteal implant complications

+1

If you are very thin then butt implants are your only option for gluteal shape enhancement. I recommend a smaller size as there is a much higher chance of implant extrusion in the gluteal area compared to breasts, as of course you apply constant pressure to the areas when you are sitting or lying down.  Make sure you understand all the complications possible before you proceed and Good Luck!

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Buttock Implants are solid

+1

Buttock implants are solid and they cannot explode. However, if the wound does not heal well, the implant will be exposed and will need to be removed.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS