Lack of Mobility In Jaw Area After SMAS Facelift? What To Do?

SMAS facelift 21 days ago. Lower jaw is very immobile, stays open when I sleep, difficult making certain sounds (f, b, p), trouble keeping food (dry) from coming out sides of mouth. If I press forward at the jawline near my ear, it relaxes the tension enough that speaking is a little easier. Will this get better? Also, feels like a very tight chin strap wrapped around my jaw that is hard to relax, kind of aches.

Jaw tightness after facelift

+2

It is impossible to comment based on your photos and without examining you.  You should return to your surgeon  to discuss your concerns. In the meantime I would massage your jaw area and do range of motion several times a day by turning your head side to side and up and down and moving your mouth open widely and from side to side. Tissues tight from a facelift usually loosen up after a few weeks.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Face lift

+2

I have seen your pictures on other site. My answer stands. The pictures are not good because of possible animation. Need better pictures. How ever you have a major problem according to the present pictures. Wait for three months and seek a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY). You may need a new full face lift at least.

Facelift problems

+2

I am not sure if you are trying to animate in your photos but the look is very unusual in my opinion and nothing I have seen before.  It looks like too much pull was placed on the SMAS.  Maybe this will relax with time and massage but I'd check back with your doctor and see what they say about this .

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

+1

The SMAS appears to have been tightened to a great extent around the jowl and chin area.  However, at 21 days the tissues will relax.  The question is how much will they relax.   Give this a few months and reevaluate.  The results have be OK at that time.  Hard to day.  In addition, ask your surgeon if this is a typical early postoperative look.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Inability To Eat and Move The Jaw Should Not Occur After Facelift

+1

I would be concerned with some of the complaints that you have. While tension around the ears after surgery can be common, an inability to move the jaw should not occur. The fact that you are having trouble eating also is not common unfortunately. I would see your surgeon to relay your concerns. Or if you are uncomfortable seeing him/her, it may be good to get a second opinion and if you do, please make sure you see a Board Certified, Facial Plastic or Plastic Surgeon.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

Jaw Tightness After SMAS Facelift

+1

It is difficult to assess from your pictures what is actually going on.  The tightening of the SMAS certainly could be responsible for some of your issues especially the feeling of a tight chin strap.  The vector of SMAS elevation is upward and backward in virtually all SMAS operations so tightening of SMAS shouldn't make your mouth stay open when you sleep.  You are still fairly early in the postoperative period I would expect some of this tightness to resolve.  Make sure you follow up with your surgeon and have them address all of your concerns.

Michael Sundine, MD

Jaw mobility issues three weeks after a facelift

+1

Sometimes sutures and pulls in certain areas can affect jaw movement for up to six weeks. These symptoms typically resolve over time and your should continue to see increased movement. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unusual Face Lift

+1

You will need an examination and discussion with your surgeon. Your photos show a very odd appearing submental area. Whether this resolves depends on the type of facelift. See your surgeon to decide on a treatment plan.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon