Labiaplasty. Why have I developed lumps? Should I be worried 6 weeks post-op? (Photo)

I had a labiaplasty 6 weeks ago. I have since developed tight, sensitive lumps on top of and around my clitoris. It began with just one one, but has grown into many large ones. It's painful - hurts to open my legs, walk, wear underwear etc. My surgeon has not been helpful and has said they will 'probably' go away and gave me some numbing gel, but it's only getting worse/growing bigger. Any advice? Is there anything I can do to get rid of this? Besides being painful it's horrendous to look at.

Labiaplasty swelling and revision in Los Angeles

+1
Our office specializes in labiaplasty surgery and the swelling is normal, even at 6 weeks.  We advise patients to contact our office for revision labiaplasty once the swelling has subsided. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Lumps after labioplasty

+1
The swelling that you are noticing near the clitoral area is the frenulum [the labia minora tissue that joints the clitoris].  This swelling is not unusual after labioplasty, and it usually will subside greatly over the next few months.  If after approximately 6 months you still notice the swelling it can be treated relatively easily. I have encountered patient's with this issue in the past and generally have been able to treat the condition completely.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Lumps after labiaplasty

+1
I reviewed your photos.  You had a trimming labiaplasty.  The lumps are the cut ends of the frenula which are the folds leading from the clitoris.  The frenula were cut and then became swollen, which is not an uncommon result of a trimming labiaplasty.  It may take many months for the swelling to go down as much as possible. However, I fear that you may need a revision of the lumps if they are not gone by five months.  The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, MD