Swollen Lumps on Labia Minora 3 Weeks Post Labiaplasty?

I had labiaplasty on May 9. At week 3 almost all of the swelling had subsided and was looking good. My surgeon removed all of the external stitches last week; however, I have a few very painful swollen lumps in my both labia minora now. My surgeon said I must be having an allergic reaction to the internall stitching and to wait a few weeks and maybe it will feel better. I'm not sure I can wait that long because they are very painful? She did assure me that it isn't an infection from the surgery, which is good, but I'm not sure what to do now about my situation? My husband and I were told that my surgeon should remove the painful lumps (stitches). Any suggestions?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Painful Lumps Likely Secondary to Sutures

+1

I would agree that the painful lumps are likely un-dissolved sutures.  If they are causing you a lot of pain and concern, I would bring the issue up with your surgeon.  It usually resolves on it own, but resolution can be accelerated with removal if the pain is not getting better. Good luck

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty recovery and swelling

+1

Painful lumps may represent residual swelling, lymph nodes, or small pockets of hematoma or seroma.  I would defer to the recommendations of your plastic surgeon for any intervention, if this is in fact needed. Raffy Karamanoukian, MD FACS Los Angeles

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/body/15/labiaplasty.aspx