Labiaplasty Wedge Technique Is Healing Bizarrely? (photo)

I had the wedge technique done a little over 2 weeks ago. One side of my labia looks like it is healing ok (you can see the sutures poking out). The other side looks as if it is healing in a bumpy and pinched look horizontally. The doc did tell me that since one labia was much longer than the other that the end results will be a little a uneven. Which I'm fine with because nobody is perfect but, this looks weird. It looks as if it was sewn out to the side and attached to to outer labia. Help!

Labiaplasty and V wedge incisions for natural results

+1

There is still significant swelling along the labiaplasty incision site.  I would recommend that you wait and allow things to heal.  Usually this will require no intervention, but sometimes may require a small touch up procedure under local anesthesia. 

Labia wedge at two weeks

+1

As the inventor of the wedge technique in the mid-1990s, I can say that it is too early to determine the result at two weeks. You do have a minor separation on the left with considerable asymmetry.  However, in several months, it will appear much better.  If the asymmetry bothers you after that time, a revision can be performed to better match it to the other side. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty Healing Irregularities

+1

Labiaplasty healing irregularities are normal and smooth out over time.  The other thing that should be realized that there is great amount of asymmetry side to side that is not noticed prior to surgery.

2 weeks post-op is too soon to see results.

+1

2 weeks post-op is too soon to see results.  Make sure you follow up with your surgeon and express your concerns.  Make sure you do all of the instructed post-operative massages you were instructed to do. 

Labia results at 2 weeks

+1

are quite difficult to interpret.  Asymmetries are almost certain, especially if your had a longer side to start with.  Regardless, please give it time to heal and you can better determine if there was any suturing beyond your labia minora when you can pull them apart from the majora to see if there is any adherence as is suggested by your early photos.  Regardless, overall, your early results do appear quite acceptable in my opinion and should not be an impediment in your future.

Curtis Wong, MD

Two Weeks Too Early to tell labiaplasty result

+1

The Final Result of Labiaplasty varies from patient to patient and depends on many factors including the complexity of surgery, amount of skin/mucosa removed, amount of swelling, post operative activity, whether you are a smoker and many other factors. You can tell little at just two weeks following surgery and it is common for one side to swell more than another. Your final result may take several months so best to allow some time to pass before making any conclusions about the outcome success.tincture of time is the hardest medicine to prescribe but chances are you will do well when the swelling goes down.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Labiaplasty Wedge Technique

+1

It looks like you may have some notching where your labiaplasty incision is healing.  When the swelling resolves over several months, you may benefit from a small revision under local anesthesia.

David Stoker, MD

Labiaplasty recovery

+1

I get these types of questions a lot thats why I always tell my patients that things are going to look a lot worse before they look better down there.  The vulva has a very robust blood suplly which is great for healing but also leads to a relatively large amount of swelling after any type of trauma, including surgical.  Based upon your photos (if I am understanding them correctly), you are just going through the normal phases of healing.  Be sure to keep your post-op appointments with your operating surgeon and if you are still not happy in a couple of months, seek a second opinion.  Glad to help...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty wedge technique

+1

Dear Smaggies,

do not worry, your doctor is right !

there is always some swelling and asymmetry at the beginning of the healing, like any other body part.

I would just add that massaging the area always will settle down the scar tissue post-operatively. Although this is mucosa which heals fast and well !

Good luck with your recovery.

Florence Mussat, MD

Florence Mussat, MD

Asymmetry after labiaplasty

+1

It is still hard to tell what is going on despite the photos you have included.  Since it is still early on after your recent labiaplasty, you need to keep in close contact with your surgeon. He/she wants you to be thrilled with your decision to have this procedure.  Follow all of the instructions that you have been given, keep all of your postop appointments, ask all the questions you need, be patient, and keep your surgeon posted on any changes or concerns.  Even though something seems "off" to you now, with healing and some time, this too can heal in a way that makes you happy. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon