Labiaplasty sutures bleeding?

I had a labiaplasty 10 days ago. There was some bleeding from sutures a few days after, my surgeon advised this is normal. Had lessened, however this a.m I noticed More. It's not gushing &there's no pus, am on 2000mg amoxicillin/day so I don't this is an infection? I did walk a lot yday &thought perhaps this irritated them? Is it normal for stitches to bleed this long after surgery? higher up stitches, further away from the vaginal opening have healed perfectly, it's only 2-3 at the very bottom

Labiaplasty and recovery

+1
There may be retained blood or a small tear in the labiaplasty incision. A quick follow up with your surgeon can help determine the next course of action. 

Labiaplasty sutures bleeding?

+1

Thank you for your question. Walking too much is a problem and irritates the lower stitches. You need to reduce your activity until the area is healed. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty sutures bleeding

+1

A very tricky area to photograph! Without seeing the actual area of surgery, this sounds like some wound separation. In my practice, I'd recommend thoroughly drying the area and keeping it as dry as possible during the day with an active attempt to dry the area in the evening at night. This region of the body heals very well with time. Do not hesitate to return to your doctor should this persist. Best Wishes!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Not that common to have bleeding 10 days from labiaplasty, but...

+1

Hi, it's not typical to continue to have bleeding 10 days out from labiaplasty; typically patients may have some spotting for up to a week afterwards. However, this depends on the amount, and color of the bleeding. If it's small spotting on a pad vs large bleeding, it should stop over time. If it's bright red blood, that means it's fresh bleeding, and it would be wise to inquire with your surgeon what the best course of action would be. If it's darker blood, you may have had an old blood collection under the labiaplasty incision that is liquefying and is working its way out now, which should stop over time. Regardless, it is prudent to follow up closely with your plastic surgeon and listen to his/her recommendations for further treatment and wound care. Good luck!

Samuel Sohn, MD