I Had Labiaplasty Surgery on the 19th of Last Month I'm Still Bleeding, Is This Normal?

I'm very irradiated near my clitoris which causes pain at times,because of the stitches what can I use or do to ease the pain. I also have blood on occasion anywhere from a streak to a quarter size or more, and it smells like plaque from your teeth instead of menstraul blood.

Bleeding weeks after a labiaplasty

+1

is not normal and you should see your surgeon for an exam and to find out what could be causing this. If a suture remains, it can easily be removed then. What you describe is not normal healing.

Stitch?

+1

Sounds like you may have an absorbable stitch that has failed to dissolve and may be irritating the local tissue. Ask your surgeon about this possibility as the fix would be easy.

Robert S. Backstein, MD

Healing after labiaplasty

+1

I am sorry you are having what sounds like problems with healing from your labiaplasty.  If the sutures are not dissolving and are causing problems with irritation, you should have your surgeon consider taking them out.  Your surgeon also should check out the foul blood smell as this is most definitely not normal.  What you can do is make sure the area is very clean and dry and allow it to heal with minimal trauma from tight clothing or activity.  Very best wishes.

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Irritation And Bleeding 2 Weeks Post Labiaplasty - What Should I Do?

+1

Labiaplasty or labia minora cosmetic surgery has become very popular in recent years.  Internal labial tissue contains both wet and dry mucosal tissue.  This tissue heals within 5 days, and external sutures are normally removed at about 5 days, especially with internal dissolvable sutures. 

Your comments would indicate suture material is still present.  This can be a source of irritation and can lead to what is called granulation tissue.  Granulation tissue is a combination of capillary buds and fibroblasts.  This tissue is normally red and, if touched, easily bleeds. 

Most plastic surgeons use dissolvable sutures in labiaplasties.  This suture is usually clear and hard to distinguish from the surrounding tissue.  Suture removal here is usually uncomfortable and sutures are often hard to find, meaning the best of plastic surgeons may leave a piece of suture material which can lead to the irritation, granulation tissue, and bleeding that you are experiencing. 

At this point, I believe it is appropriate that you return to your plastic surgeon.  I am sure he or she will be chagrined at missing a piece of suture and will remove it immediately.  As far as treating the discomfort, if you were my patient, I would recommend sitting in a bathtub with warm water about a quarter way up the tub with one capful of Clorox in the water.  This will clean the area of any vaginal bacteria, help dissolve the suture, and treat the granulation tissue until you can see your plastic surgeon.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon