Is Labiaplasty Safe for Type 1 Diabetics?

Can a type I diabetic have a labiaplasty done safely?

Labiaplasty for type 1 diabetics

+1

Providing your type 1 diabetes is well controlled it is possible to have labiaplasty done safely. If you've had difficulties keeping your sugars controlled in recent months then I recommend that you make a special effort to improve this prior to surgery and make an appointment to see your GP or endocrinologist to get checked out. Keeping your diabetes well controlled is important to reduce the risk of post operative infection and to improve wound healing.

Good luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Can Diabetics Have Labiaplasty Surgery?

+1

If you are otherwise healthy and your diabetes is under control, you are a candidate for labiaplasty. As long as your primary care thinks your diabetes is under control, there isn't any reason why you shouldn't have labiaplasty. The surgeon and anesthesiologist need to be aware of your condition and need to be able to communicate with your primary care. 

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Maybe if you are well controlled.

+1

If your diabetes is well controlled you might be a reasonable risk, but might have more complications due to delayed wound healing. I would stay conservative on the surgical design to limit this.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty in Type 1 Diabetic Patients

+1

Diabetics are historically at increased risk of complications after surgery.  If the Diabetic patient is in good control, then the risk is much lower, and most elective operations can be done.  The best test t evaluate long term blood sugar control is a test called the HbA1C. 

American Diabetes Association recommends that the HbA1c be below 7.0% for most patients. 

If this number is in normal range, then the patient is usually in good control and elective procedures can proceed without undue risk.  The area in question is well vascularized, (but in a funny place for dressings, etc).  Always best to check with your Ob/Gyn and Plastic Surgeon to see if the surgery is appropriate for you.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Labiaplasty in Type I diabetics

+1

For the most part your level of control (hemgobin A1C) is one of the best indicators of the severity of the diabetes. The labia are well vascularized and generally heal well. It is my overall impression tha you would tolerate the procedure without incident. However, diabetics are at higher risk of infection. Infections in this area can lead to a serious condition called Fournier's Gangrene. Meticulous hygiene is essential post-operatively. I would discuss your risks with your surgeon AND endocrinologist.

+1

Although there is a slight increase risk of infection in Diabetics this is generally regarded to be the case in patients who are not well controlled. Type 1 Diabetics are by definition mild cases and are treated with oral hypoglycemics and not insulin. I would suggest you check with your internist or family physician to make sure your Diabetes is in fact under control and get his/her clearance for the surgery. If your Diabetes is under control I would not see a need for further concern.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD