Labiaplasty- do I definitely need a revision, if so what is the absolute soonest I can have it done?

I had a v wedge labiaplasty done 2 and a half weeks ago. The left side is fine I think but the right side is really swollen and has totally opened up and stitches are visible where right labia should be attached! I think I will need a revision but I don't want to wait too long......and with a revision I can't see any skin that the surgeon will re-attach the right labia minora to??? I don't understand what has gone wrong as I followed all post op instructions!! Please help!!

+2
A wound separation should be assessed by your surgeon. Sometimes a wound separation may heal uneventfully, and sometimes a revision may be required.

Revisions after labiaplasty

+1
are best done many months down the road.  You want your inflammation is gone and the tissues no longer swollen.  5 months is certainly reasonable but longer is always better.  And I agree with Dr. Alter's opinion that it looks like you had a significant amount of tissue removed from one side or your wound separated completely resulting in that appearance.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labiaplasty revision

+1
I reviewed your photos. It appears that much of your labia minora were removed, especially on your right. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I probably would recommend a right clitoral hood flap to reconstruct your right labium and am unsure about your left side. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Acute labiaplasty revision

+1
Although revisions are possible, at 2 1/2 weeks out from your labiaplasty, you are in a relatively tenuous zone for this.  Best to be very patient and wait for continued recovery and follow your operating surgeons recommendations.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD