Labiaplasty Revision and Intercourse?

I had my initial labiaplasty (minora, wedge method) on the 23rd of July, my stitches dissolved too early and left a split on both minora. The left had split approx 3mm (.1inch) and the right was approx 6mm (.2inch),. My surgeon gave me a revision on the 17th of August, but I never thought to ask about my limitations. How soon does tissue start to fuse together and how soon can I resume normal activities (weights, cardio, intercourse etc)? The stitches are approx 5-6mm away from the labia base.

Labiaplasty revision and intimacy / sex

+1

I would wait from 4 to 6 weeks with an interval follow up appointment before you engage in intimacy.  We would prefer if the wounds are well healed prior to resuming intimacy. This period of time will vary from individual to individual. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Labiaplasty revision and intercourse

+1

You should wait at least six weeks after your revision to have sexual intercourse. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty Revision and Intercourse?

+1

You should, of course, check with your surgeon on this but I would suggest waiting AT LEAST 6 weeks before proceeding with intercourse.  I normally recommend waiting at least 3 weeks after any surgery for any exercise; exactly what you can do from thereon depends on how much the surgical area is being stressed.  In the case of intercourse there is (obviously) direct stress on the area so you should make sure that you are well-healed before proceeding with that activity - and even more so because your original procedure had to be revised.  Be careful!

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Healing Timeline following Labiaplasty

+1

Post-Operative Healing

Ask your surgeon for best advice. My advice to my patients is as follows:
Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Intercourse after labiaplasty

+1

I normally counsel patients to wait 6 weeks after intercourse.  Labiaplasty may result in a smaller or tighter vaginal opening, so you may experience some additional tenderness due to a greater degree of stretch than you may be accustomed to.  You may want to take things a little slower if you do have discomfort with intercourse afterwards.  I would count the timeline from the time you were last revised rather than the initial surgery.  Scar tissue will continue to soften with every few weeks that pass by and you will get some more stretch or laxity of vaginal opening with time.  

Hope this helps.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Recovery from labiaplasty

+1

does take time and your revision set your clock back to that date as your procedure date.  My patients are asked to abstain from any activity that would put pressure on the incision for at least 4 weeks, with 6 weeks even better.  As for aerobic activities, you should check with your surgeon for his/her advice but my patients in general can do non-strenuous activities in 1-2 weeks after the procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Activity after Labia minora Surgery?

+1

Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to advise you about postoperative activities; he/she knows your situation best and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Generally speaking, I advise my patients to stay away from “boys, bikes, and horses” for at least 4 weeks after any type of labia minora surgery.