Labiaplasty for Reduction of the Labia Minora and Pregnancy?

How successful is a labiaplasty for reduction of the labia minora? Is it a long-term solution or can future pregnancies affect it?

Labiaplasty & pregnancy

+1

Labiaplasty offers a permanent reduction of the your labia size.  However, with pregnancy, it is not uncommon for many areas of the body to become stretched (e.g. abdomen and the development of stretch marks).  You can stretch the labia during pregnancy, but you should grow more labia tissue.  You can injure the labia from over stretching.  Incisions and scars are never as strong as native uninjured tissue.  They are usually ~80% of the strength when fully healed, and this is often more than enough to withstand most stresses, including pregnancy.

Hope this helps.

Permanence of labiaplasty

+1

This is a permanent reduction of the labia.  However, we have had patients who have had labial tears during delivery after pregnancy, so it is true that delivery can affect your labiaplasty results...but not the pregnancy itself per se.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Is labiaplasty permanent?

+1

Labiaplasty provides permanent reduction of the labia minora.  Your anatomy can change with childbirth, especially with a vaginal delivery. But the removed tissue from the procedure does not grow back.

It would be unusual to require a Labiaplasty a second time.  I have not seen it.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Labia minora reduction surgery

+1

Good question. I don't think there is enough data available to know if the labia minora reduction procedure is permanent for all patients or not. In order to know the answer to your question conclusively we will need to have a study following at least hundreds of labia minora reduction patients through their pregnancies and determine what percentage (if any) will require further surgery.

My own guess is that the operation will not be permanent for all patients and that a small percentage (maybe 5 to 10%) may require further surgery after pregnancy and or significant weight loss.

Hope this helps,

Labiaplasty and pregnancy

+1

Labiaplasty is a permanent reduction of the Labia Minora, Your anatomy may change with pregnancy and if you have a vaginal delivery, but it is unusual to require a second labiaplasty after pregnancy. Good Luck

Johan E. Brahme, MD