Labiaplasty for Reduction of the Labia Minora and Pregnancy?

How successful is a labiaplasty for reduction of the labia minora? Is it a long-term solution or can future pregnancies affect it?

Labia Minora Reduction

A labiaplasty is the perfect operation to reduce the labia minora. In the right patient and with the right surgeon, it's very very successful. Like anything in plastic surgery, the results are permanent, but the clock still moves forward. Just like a facelift can turn back the clock by 10 or 15 years, your labia will still change based on aging, hormones, intercourse, and childbirth. Childbirth, for one, can cause injury to the labia, and I have fixed several labia tears with a labiaplasty-type procedure. I would not wait, however, to finish all pregnancies to have your labiaplasty done, just like I don't wait to place breast implants in women until after they are finished with breastfeeding. Pregnancy may affect the results of the breast augmentation, but it is safe and effective in achieving its goals, and as long as my patients are informed, it's a go!

220 E Central Pkwy
Orlando, FL 32701

Labiaplasty & pregnancy

Labiaplasty offers a permanent reduction of the your labia size.  However, with pregnancy, it is not uncommon for many areas of the body to become stretched (e.g. abdomen and the development of stretch marks).  You can stretch the labia during pregnancy, but you should grow more labia tissue.  You can injure the labia from over stretching.  Incisions and scars are never as strong as native uninjured tissue.  They are usually ~80% of the strength when fully healed, and this is often more than enough to withstand most stresses, including pregnancy.

Hope this helps.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Permanence of labiaplasty

This is a permanent reduction of the labia.  However, we have had patients who have had labial tears during delivery after pregnancy, so it is true that delivery can affect your labiaplasty results...but not the pregnancy itself per se.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

239 East Wakea Avenue
Kahului, HI 96732

Is labiaplasty permanent?

Labiaplasty provides permanent reduction of the labia minora.  Your anatomy can change with childbirth, especially with a vaginal delivery. But the removed tissue from the procedure does not grow back.

It would be unusual to require a Labiaplasty a second time.  I have not seen it.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

2103 Crestmoor Road
Nashville, TN 37215

Labia minora reduction surgery

Good question. I don't think there is enough data available to know if the labia minora reduction procedure is permanent for all patients or not. In order to know the answer to your question conclusively we will need to have a study following at least hundreds of labia minora reduction patients through their pregnancies and determine what percentage (if any) will require further surgery.

My own guess is that the operation will not be permanent for all patients and that a small percentage (maybe 5 to 10%) may require further surgery after pregnancy and or significant weight loss.

Hope this helps,

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Labiaplasty and pregnancy

Labiaplasty is a permanent reduction of the Labia Minora, Your anatomy may change with pregnancy and if you have a vaginal delivery, but it is unusual to require a second labiaplasty after pregnancy. Good Luck

Johan E. Brahme, MD

9850 Genesee Avenue, Suite 130
La Jolla, CA 92037