Labiaplasty Recovery - How Long Does It Take?

How long is the typical recovery period for Labiaplasty? What can I expect during the recovery period?

Labiaplasty recovery 2-3 days off your feet, 1 month for exercise and sexual activity.

+5

thank you for your question.  Following Labiaplasty of the Labia Minora or Clitoral Hoodectomy,I recommend 2-3 days of bed rest and staying off your feet to reduce swelling.Ice can help the first 24 hours.he may return to work after 4-5 days however avoid vigorous exercise for 3-4 weeks and no sexual activity for 4-6 weeks.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/labiaplasty/laser-labiaplasty-to-reduce-large-long-labia-and-lessen-irritation-by-clothing/

The recovery for labioplasty is fairly easy.

+4

I usually suggest that patients take 2 full days off work/school to decrease swelling.  During this time it is imporatant to stay off your feet and ice the area.  You may shower the day after surgery and wash well with soap.  Most patients need very little pain medication.  Usually anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen is enough and narcotics are not necessary.  I preform the surgery on a Thursday so by Monday most of my patients can return to school/work.  Healing is complete in two weeks and at that point patients can resume excercise. 

Web reference: http://www.myplasticsurgeon.ca/labioplasty.asp

Labiaplasty Recovery

+3

In discussing labiaplasty, it is assumed that we are speaking about the most common procedure which is labia minora reduction. Other labiaplasty procedures include labia majora augmentation/reduction or labia minora repair.

Surgery typically takes approximately 1 hour and performed under local anesthesia approximately 83% of the time. When performed under general anesthesia it is usually because of a patient request or when performed in combination with other procedures.

After surgery, patients will experience discomfort and swelling which usually diminishes after 1-2 weeks. Recovery times range from 3 days to 1-2 weeks. You should wait at least 3 weeks before doing any strenous physical activity. Our patients tell us that they, on average, are able to resume sexual intercourse at about 8 weeks.

Sutures are usually absorbable and patients return for follow-up in the first week and at 3 months

Recovery after labiaplasty

+2

The recovery depends on the type of labiaplasty performed and often the skill of the surgeon.   I invented and published the wedge technique, and my patients are usually able to go to work and travel on the second day after surgery.  You can shower on the day after surgery, exercise in 3-4 weeks, and have intercourse at six weeks.   In general, the discomfort after the wedge labiaplasty is less than the trimmng labiaplasty since the incision on the trim are along the entire length of the labia.   

Labia minora reduction recovery

+2

I ask my patients to stay in bed for two days after the labia minora reduction procedure with ice on the area. Most patients are able to return to work 3 to 4 days after surgery (not strenuous). Some swelling and spotting after the procedure is common and I asked my patients not to be concerned about the appearance of the area for the first month given that the swelling may cause unnecessary anxiety.

I also ask my patients to avoid horseback riding, bicycle riding, prolonged sitting, and sexual intercourse for approximately one month after surgery.  This timeline may change depending on how the patient is doing during the postoperative visits.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_labialreduction.htm

What to expect after Labiaplasty Surgery

+2

1. You will generally need 3-4 days at home to recover.

2. Take Tylenol or the pain medication prescribed by your plastic surgeon to relieve your pain/discomfort. DO NOT take aspirin or ibuprofen because they can increase bruising and bleeding.

3. Shower the day after surgery.

4. Clean the incision site with hydrogen peroxide and put antibiotic cream/ointment on daily.

5. Your stitches should dissolve within 2-2 ½ weeks.

6. Swelling and tenderness should disappear within 6 weeks.

7. It will take between 6 months to a year before you will see the absolute final results.

Labioplasty recovery about 3 weeks

+2

Labioplasty recovery is about 3 weeks. By then all the wounds have healed provided no complications.

No sex for six weeks after the surgery.

These are general guidelines. However, during the recovery period meticulous care of the area is required. Check with your Plastic Surgeon for his advise.

Labiaplasty Recovery

+2

Thanks for the great question -

In our San Francisco area practice we tell our patients that labiaplasty (for just the minora) tend to recover quickly.

We use dissolving sutures which typically are gone in a few weeks. There is usually a moderate amount of swelling for the first 2 - 3 weeks.

Usually patients can resume intimate activity at about a month.

Four guidelines for labiaplasty recovery

+2
  • One should avoid intercourse for 6-8 weeks following labiaplasty or reduction of the labia minor/inner lips.
  • Most swelling will subside in 3-4 weeks.
  • Most sutures will be present for the first 6-8 weeks.
  • Discomfort is usually minimal for the first week.

Web reference: http://www.doctorgrover.com

Recovery following labiaplasty

+1
I use Dr. Alter's Central Wedge resection technique and highly recommend it. It allows the surgeon to address not only the excess labial skin but also excess clitoral hooding skin which the lateral trimming technique does not. With the central wedge technique the outer edge of the labia is still natural tissue, not scar and thus is less painful for recovery, there is not risk of scalloped edges (a "saw-tooth" like edge that can develop with the lateral trimming technique) and can be used for re-do cases.

I let my patients shower the same day as surgery, resume exercise in three weeks and intercourse at six weeks.

Web reference: http://www.epsteinplasticsurgery.com/gallery-procedure/labiaplasty

Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon