How Often Does a Labiaplasty Procedure Affect the Nerves?

What is the most common complaint after labiaplasty regarding sexual sensitivity or sensation?

Labiaplasty with fat grafting for enhanced aesthetics and sexual pleasure

+3

A labiaplasty performed appropriately should never affect nerves as the surgical dissection does not really extend beyond the tissue being removed.  There may be reduced sensation on the edge of the labia minora proper for weeks to two months but this is not considered a contribution to sexual pleasure.  The patient response to labiaplasty is almost unanimously positive with reported improved comfort especially in tight fitting clothing, improved sexual enjoyment/sensation/pleasure and improved confidence.  Women usually enjoy sex much more after labiaplasty especially when I include a fat grafting technique I employ on the labia majora.  The added plumpness to the labia majora adds a significant aesthetic and youthful appearance and enhances the pleasant sensations of sexual intercourse as well as reducing any painful contact through the simple act of cushioning.  Addition of 'g-spot fat grafting also significantly enhancess pleasure for both partners.  Feel free to contact my practice to learn more!

All the besst,

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Labiaplasty healing: sensation, concerns

+2

there are different methods for the surgery:

1. sensation generally returns to normal
  2. hypo or hyper sensitivity is rare but possible with any surgery
  3. clitoral sensation should not be effected
  4. concerns always include contours, symmetry, cosmetic issues

Labiaplasty and Sensation

+2

The surgical incisions made during a labia plasty are well away from the nerves to the clitoris. Unless something very unusual happens there should be no change in sensation following labia plasty. There may be some early changes due to swelling within a month to 6 weeks. But all should normalize well in time. Good luck.

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Loss of Sensation After Labiaplasty...

+2

I share the opinions of my colleagues with regard to the likelihood diminished sensation following labiaplasty.

When properly performed, neither the wedge nor trim method of labiaplasty (nor clitoral hood reduction) is associated with discernible sensory loss.

I agree that patients do frequently claim enhanced sensitivity following the procedure, although this may be entirely subjective.

It's very important to seek the services of a board certified surgeon who is experienced in this form of surgery!

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and sensation

+2

HI,

There are a variety of different ways to perform a labiaplasty. Some surgeons just trim the excess off the base of the labia minora. This works, but can leave a long cut edge that can be irritated or hyper sensitive (as opposed to numb). The "v" wedge technique (my preferred method) removes the central protion of the labia majora (which is typically the most protuberant) and then re-approximates the anterior and posterior cut edges to each other. This tightens the entire labia and causes it to recede below the level of the majora while retaining its normal curve. It does not typically cause any sensory  loss, and the incision is much less exposed and thus less hyper sensitive.The most common complaints for the first several weeks to months are irritation from the absorbable sutures (once they are gone, the irritation quickly resolves).That being said, there is no such thing as a perfect procedure. In general this is a safe and effective surgery that is well tolerated and has a quick recovery.Make sure that the surgeon you choose performs this operation frequently and is a board certified plastic surgeon. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and sensory loss

+2

I would say it is extremely rare to lose sensation after undergoing labiaplasty, especially with my preferred technique - "Trim" method.  This is true also for the clitoral hoodectomy unless of course the surgeon accidentally removes some of the clitoral tissue, which should never happen in the hands of an experienced surgeon specializing in these procedures.  To avoid as many complications as possible, I always recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon who is an expert in these procedures.  Best of Luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty and Sensation?

+2

Although it is a risk involved with the procedure, loss of sensation is extremely rare with the labial reduction procedures.  On the contrary, if a patient has a significant amount of redundant labia minora and/or clitoral hood tissue present, sensation may actually be improved  when the “obstructing” tissue is removed (as a  side benefit of the operation).  Unfortunately, this improvement in sensation cannot be predicted and/or promised.

I have also had patients  report an increased sense of self-confidence which has translated to an improved sexual experience for them.