Labiaplasty. Please help me figure out what went wrong with the procedure and how to fix it? (photo)

I had a laser labiaplasty performed on August 22 2013 of this year. I have been feeling pressure and the results are horrible. I have rough edges all along my labia. My skin looks as though it is splitting apart. How do I approach the doctor so that this gets fixed? We do both agree that the bumps/rough edges will not be going away. What should be done? I am a perfectly healthy 28 year old and have no medical conditions what so ever. I can't believe this has happened to me.

Labiaplasty Outcome Concern

+1

It is difficult to appreciate the final outcome based on the photos provided but it does not look like a disaster result. Nonetheless, the best next step to take is to get a second opinion consult with another board certified plastic or gynecologic surgeon specialist in labiaplasty. It may be that this second consult calms your fears and/or offers some chance for improvement. Glad to help.

How to fix labiaplasty gone wrong

+1

I reviewed your photos. It appears that a good portion of your labia minora were removed. by a trimming labiaplasty, which left you with scalloping, bumps, and suture marks. However, I do need to see better photos of your entire clitoral hood at rest and your labia minora open and closed in order to know how to best reconstruct you. No attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance may improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I may revise your labia minora or possibly recommend clitoral hood flaps to reconstruct your labia if your surgeon left enough remaining clitoral hood. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Assessing your concerns

+1

are difficult with photos showing parts but not the whole area involved as it would help viewers appreciate what may be deficient or excessive and allow surgeons to come up with realistic plans to help you achieve your desires. It is possible not much can be done but without a full photo, comments are pure speculation based on assumptions. But if your surgeon won't help you through this, you will need to find a second opinion.

Curtis Wong, MD