Labiaplasty: Plastic Surgeon or Ob-Gyn?

Is a board certified Plastic Surgeon more qualified than a board certified OB-Gyn to perform labiaplasty or vaginoplasty procedures? How can one tell if their ob-gyn is qualified to do these types of cosmetic procedures?

Ob/Gyn vs Plastic Surgeon for labiaplasty

+2

It really depends upon what you want the result to look like. I think experienced plastic surgeons make them look better. Gyns tend to do Trim operations which are not so pretty and hurt more (my observation.)

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD 

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgeon or OB for labiaplasty

+2

Labiaplasty is a straightforward procedure with both aesthetic and functional goals.  Plastic surgery is a surgical specialty, and all plastic surgeons must demonstrate surgical expertise in all areas of the body to become board certified.  While there are also excellent OB-Gyn surgeons, the specialty is both medical and surgical.  In general, you need to be more careful about who you choose if you decide upon a Gynecologist to do the procedure.... It should be a Gynecologist with experience and a satisfactory comfort level with labiaplasty.

Web reference: http://feelbeautiful.com

Labiaplasty Surgeon Needs Experience

+2

With regards to who is better at performing a cosmetic labiaplasty or vaginoplasty, it really depends on the experience of the surgeon.  Even though Ob/Gyn physicians have constant contact with the vaginal area, that does not mean that they know how to properly address the issues that go into cosmetic restoration of the labia, clitoral hood, and/or vaginal canal.  Also, most Ob/Gyn do not do these types of surgeries in their training, so they get very little exposure to these surgical procedures before they begin their practices.  Plastic surgeons generally get a fair amount of exposure to these surgeries as a resident, and often times are better equipped to handle the technical aspects of the procedures, as well as dealing with cosmetic patients in general.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

+1

You can go to anyone that performs (legally) labiaplasty that informs and satisfies you well enough.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

I may be biased in my answer but I believe a well trained plastic surgeon with experience in the procedure is better qualified.

+1

Most gynecologists are trained in surgery of the pelvic organs and not intricate skin surgery.  Delicate tissue handling and having a 3D understanding of structures is paramount in achieving the most natural results.

Who should perform labia reduction surgery?

+1
If I were doing research, I would find a board certified plastic surgeon who has lots of experience with this procedure because someone with experience is what you want. Ask to see before and after photos as well as talking to patients who have had surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_labialreduction.htm

Labiaplasty - Who is Qualified?

+1

Surgeons from different specialties, certainly including these two, are qualified - at least in theory - to perform this surgery.  But how about a Urologist?  He or she may, arguably, be even more capable at doing the surgery.

And that's the question:  not just who is "qualified" - but who can do it well.  It often comes down to ability, experience, approach to the procedure, etc.

You'll need to interview several doctors and talk to them, see how they would address your concerns, etc.

No simple answer....and although board-certification is a minimum, that's all it is.  Regardless of the credentials of a surgeon you have to try to get a sense of how "capable" the surgeon actually is.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Plastic Surgeon vs. Ob-Gyn for Labiaplasty

+1

The most important aspect to picking a surgeon is the amount of experience. The surgeon should have a great deal of experience with the procedure and you should be able to see before and after pictures of previous patients. During the consultation, the patient and the surgeon should discuss what can be achieved and what to expect after the surgery.

Labiaplasty: Plastic Surgeon or Ob-Gyn? Experience is the Key.

+1

Experience is the key to this type of surgery. Plastic surgeons and OB-Gyn surgeons are doing these procedures and should have the requisite skill to successfully perform them. However, not all Plastic surgeons or OB-Gyn surgeons are doing these procedures or have experience with doing these procedures. The important point here is to find a surgeon who does these procedures routinely and view before and after photos and talk to other patients who have undergone the procedures.

Which specialty for female genital (vulvar, vaginal, or labial) plastic surgery

+1

These are procedures performed by both specialties. In general, plastic surgeons are quite comfortable performing the labiaplasty procedures whereas specialized gynecologists, specifically urogynecologists, tend to perform the vaginoplasty procedures because they are commonly associated with vaginal laxity following childbirth resulting in stress urinary incontinence.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/chicago-photo-gallery/labiaplasty/