Labiaplasty - Painful Edges, is Trim Method Best for Me?

I will be getting labiaplasty and don't know which method to choose. While other women want to preserve sensation in their labia minora, all I feel is pain when they are touched. The edges have been crushed by years of horse riding. One surgeon wants to cut out a section in the middle, which preserves the natural edge. She thinks the painful edge will stop being painful once it's protected by the labia majora again. I'm doubtful. Has anyone had this experience? Any advice?

Wedge technique for labiaplasty

+1

I tend to agree with the consensus below. I have done both the trim and wedge technique and I find that the wedge technique gives better control and reduction of the labia. Once the labia minora fall within the labia majora, hopefully your discomfort will be resolved. Best of luck with your procedure.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Trim surgery is more painful in general

+1

My current technique is a modified wedge in over 95% of patients. They just work better for most problems. They also heal with less pain overall. You need your surgeon to describe the Pros & Cons to you as you decide how to proceed. The choice of technique is in part a decision based on your shape and size.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty method

+1

As discussed by the other surgeons, there are two main choices regarding surgical technique in labiaplasty.  If you are comfortable with your surgeon and the explanation you have received, I would advise you to follow that recommendation.  You will likely benefit from either technique performed well.  Of course, any time you are operating to alleviate pain, there are no guarantees that the pain will be completely alleviated or at all.  However, in your case and cases similar to yours, it is reasonable to expect a significant improvement.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Labiaplasty

+1

Painful labia minora is the reason I started preforming this operation about 10 years ago.  Most commonly women experience pain because the labia minor extend out past the labia majora.  The most common complaints I get is pain from riding a bike, spinning classes, horse back riding or intercourse.  I do both techniques, the wedge resection and just trimming of the egdes.  Most commonly I do the wedge because it gives the most natural result and sensation remains intact.  I trimming of the edges, I do usually when there is significant asymmetry between the two sides.  Most patients will get significant pain relief with either method.  Just make sure you go to an experienced surgeon.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Labiaplasty

+1

There are several techniques to perform labiaplasty to reduce redundant labia minora.  It is best to be assesses and discuss your options with your surgeon. 

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Type of Labia Minora Redcuction

+1

Labia minora reduction surgery as a very high patient satisfaction rate. In your  situation,  given the symptoms you describe, I think you will benefit from either technique of labia minora reduction surgery. As long as the labia minora no longer protrudes past the labia majora  your  problems associate with the labia minora should be significantly improved.

Please make sure you are working with a well  board-certified plastic surgeon with  significant experience with this operation. I think it will be these surgeon's  expertise/skill as opposed to the specific technique used that will most  influence the outcome of your procedure.

Labiaplasty options

+1

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function.  To achieve these two most important elements, I prefer the "Trim" method, which in your case will remove the "painful" edges as well.  Keep in mind however that no surgeon can gaurentee relief of your "pain" by performing a Labiaplasty.  Nonetheless, it is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Best of Luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Painful Labia Minora after Labiaplasty...

+1

Thanks for your question, AmandaR...

I tend to agree with your surgeon's opinion regarding a wedge method labiaplasty possibly improving your pain symptoms by virtually "removing them from harm's way" while engaging in horse riding or other activities.

Patients I have treated with a similar problem have noticed improvement following wedge method labiaplasty, although this is certainly not a guarantee. I just don't feel that a trim labiaplasty would offer an advantage in that regard. Occasionally, the scar associated with a trim labiaplasty becomes the source of labial pain.

My advice is to go with your surgeon's recommendation.

Good luck!

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon