Labiaplasty Pain?

I had Labiaplasty 2 months ago. One side of lower labia was aggressively removed. I have had ongoing pain in this 1/2 inch area. Could this be prudendal nerve damage? I'm worried about it being permanent. I've already seen PS. No explanation whatsoever.

Labiaplasty recovery and labia pain

+1

It is not very likely that the pudendal nerve was damaged.  Persistent pain after labiaplasty is not commonly encountered.  I would suggest a visit to your surgeon to examine your labia and determine the cause of the labial pain. 

Labiaplasty pain

+1

If one area is persistently painful, it may be helped with a several week course of a strong cortisone cream. If the scar continues to be persistent and if you have a labia deformity, then you may need to be reconstructed. I published the only paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious plastic surgery journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about 2 years ago. Patients' pain and deformities can frequently be eliminated with reconstructive surgery. Your pudendal nerve was not damaged, so don't worry about that. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty Pain after Surgery

+1

Post-operative pain after labiaplasty surgery can vary from 6 weeks to several months.  It is good that you have expressed your concerns with your plastic surgeon, but you should probably return in a week or two if the pain is not subsiding or getting worse to have the plastic surgeon give you a better explanation as to why this is happening.  It might be scar tissue forming that could respond to scar massage, so you may want to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  Injury to the pudenal nerve would be very unlikely if standard labiaplasty techniques were used, but would not know for sure without seeing the operative note.  Most likely it is superficial nerves that are in the process of healing and it should resolve over the next several months.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty - Pain Postoperatively

+1

It's unlikely that the pudendal nerve itself was injured as that nerve is located relatively deep within the tissues.  Anything is possible, but that sounds unlikely.  However, pain is pain, and you should speak to your plastic surgeon about this and, if it persists, consider a second opinion just to make sure you're not missing anything obvious.  It can take several months for these tissues to settle down postoperatively, but I can understand your concern when most if it is healed and one area remains painful.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Pain After Labiaplasty

+1

The pudendal nerve should not be damaged in this procedure.  Smaller nerve endings may take longer than the 2 month period to lose their sensitivity. 

Labiaplasty post-op massage

+1

This could be scar tissue.  Has your PS advised you of any massage techniques to reduce the amount of scar tissue that may be forming?  You should make another appointment and express your concerns and find out why you are feeling this way.

Lingering pain after labiaplasty

+1

is not common but certainly can happen.  Trying to guess what is causing it would be purely speculation.  Unless your surgery was beyond a 'normal' wedge excision or trim of the edge, there is no way of injuring major nerves.  Ask your surgeon about possible blocks to see if it helps relieve your discomfort after you have allowed adequate time for healing and if it works, consider a scar excision in hopes of removing the sensitive area. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Post Labioplasty Pain

+1

The pudendal nerve does service this area, and some small nerve endings will have to be cut.

Nerve pain is typically described as shooting, electrical shocks, perhaps like ants walking on the area.

It is important to not only examine the area, but also get a good description of the type of pain. 

You may have nerve pain or perhaps a painful scar.    Go back to your doctor and see if something like massage, desensitization, or perhaps steroid shots may be in order.  If not, what is next step?

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Pain after Labiaplasty

+1

HI,

It is very unlikely that you have actual pudendal nerve damage. Labiaplasty is a superficial procedure that typically stays far away from major nerve trunks. It is much more likely that you have a deep stitch or early scar tissue that is causing pain. The stitches will typically dissolve in 3-4 months from surgery and the scar tissue also loosens up. I recommend gentle massage of the area with moisturizer. The pain will probably improve. I also recommend going back to the physician who performed the procedure to express your concerns.

All my best,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon