Is Labiaplasty Massage the Best Way to Address the Issue of Possible Scarring?

What should be considered about scarring - before deciding on a type of labiaplasty?

Labiaplasty: how to minimize, prevent and manage scarring and optimal techniques

+1

Labiaplasty surgery is a highly effective and aesthetically successful surgery when offered to the right patients and performed by a trained and board certified plastic surgeon.  The labial tissues heal very well and poor scarring is extremely rare.  This is very dependent on the technique and incision placement of the labiaplasty.  The wedge or J-incision technique seems to have less scarring issues with minimal pain or discomfort.  For patients that have developed thickened or uncomfortable scars in any surgical site, then massage is the first line management to help soften and break down scar tissue.  I would not recommend massage unless you have already developed hypertrophic scarring. 

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Massage is not needed after labiaplasty

+1

Gentle massage (with your doctor's input) should not be harmful after labiaplasty, but is not an integral part of the recovery. Post-operative scarring of significance is not common. Massage is performed too early offers more risk than benefit.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after labiaplasty is not a common complication.

+1

Following labiaplasty I do recommend gentle massage of the suture lines after 2-4 weeks depending on how you are healing. I think it does decrease the time to when your labial tissue feel more normal.

Labiaplasty massage

+1

This is a surgery that I perform quite frequently and to be honest, I have never asked my patients to massage the labia. Some of them do, and that is fine, but in general the tissue is quite elastic and the scars are barely visible after several months. I find that the wedge resection provides the best result, but I do combine it with some simple resection extensions if the excess tissue extends above the clitoral hood. Overall this is a very well tolerated procedure and can be performed under local anethesia with mild or no oral sedation. The vast majority of my patients have been very satisfied with the results and the scars.

Regards,

Daniel A. Medalie, MD

Web reference: http://www.ClevelandPlasticSurgery.com

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed hundreds of labiaplasties both with simple resections and the wedge excision.  Both methods usually give very good scars.  I have never had any problems with hypertrophic scarring and I do not ask my patients to massage the scars in this area.

Is Labiaplasty Massage the Best Way to Address the Issue of Poor Scarring

+1

The method of labiaplasty, the way the technique was carried out and the placement of the incisions would determine the quality of the scar. In general, the area of the labia minora is very vascular and would heal well. As a result, massage the area is really not medically indicated.

Scarring after labiaplasty

+1

Unless you develop a hypertrophic scar, there is no evidence massage will diminish or in any way affect the scar.  Of course, aggressive massage before complete healing is contraindicated due to the expected discomfort this would cause, and the possibility of wound separation.  After several weeks, intermittent gentle massage may help resolve swelling, but swelling will resolve with the passage of time without massage. 

Regarding reduction of labial scar, the best method is prevention.  My preference is for the modified wedge technique because scarring is a non-issue.  After 2-3 months, you cannot tell, even upon close insection in most cases, that surgery was ever done.  The labia, in this way, is "privileged" tissue, and does not generate any visible scar.  Modified wedge allows pigment matchup to be perfect as well.

Web reference: http://feelbeautiful.com

Labia Minora Reduction and Scarring?

+1

Having performed  both “types” of labia minora reduction surgery,  I have found that both techniques provide for a high degree of patient satisfaction. The tissues in this area tend to be very forgiving ( compared to other parts of the body).

In my opinion, the most important thing you should “consider” about the labia minora  reduction procedure  is whether it is really indicated and, if so, who should perform the surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm