Insurance Coverage for Labiaplasty in Canada?

My labia minora are larger than many of the before photos I have seen, and I am looking into getting labiaplasty. Many everyday activities are painful because my labia minora are always being rubbed against my clothes. Wearing a bathing suit is extremely embarrassing because I have a huge bulge in that area. Does insurance cover the costs of this procedure in Canada?

Unfortunately insurance does not cover the cost of this surgery.

+2

As compared to the cost of other cosmetic this surgery is more affordable.  Most patients are not only looking for the relief of their symptoms but also to enhance the aesthetic appearance.  

Labiaplasty is not a covered surgery in Canada

+1

Canadian provincial health plans cover only medically necessary surgical procedures and Labiaplasty is not one of them.  Unless you are suffering a medical problem, any labia surgery is deemed 'cosmetic' and is not covered.  If you do suffer a medical problem because of enlarged or uneven labia, any surgical procedure is meant to correct the medical problem, not to make you look good.

The cost of labiaplasty surgery is relatively small and should be affordable to anyone concerned about their labia appearance.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Medical reasons to undergo labiaplasty

+1

Labiaplasty is rarely covered under insurance.  I perform these procedures for medical and cosmetic reasons and feel that enlarged labia can present with symptoms often.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

LABIAPLASTY IS NOT COVERED BY GOVERNMENT INSURANCE PLANS

+1

To my knowledge labiaplasty is not covered by any government sponsored insurance program in Canada, unless it causes a medical problem.

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty is generally not covered by insurance in Canada

+1

Thank-you for your question. I am a Plastic Surgeon in Montreal, Canada and I do a fairly large number of labiaplasties every year. Unfortunately, this is not covered by any private or provincial insurance plan, at least not in Quebec. That is because excessively large labia are considered to be a cosmetic issue and not one that affects your general health. The only exceptions to this would be a patient who had repeated infections as a result of the labial excess. This would have to be documented by her gynecologist with actual culture and lab results. The patient could then apply to the provincial health plan for a special exemption. They would rule on this on a case by case basis.

Arie Benchetrit, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty in Canada

+1

It is difficult for me to be informed about the benefits of the Canadian health plan but I would discuss your complaints with your gynecologist who is best equipped to tell you how severe your condition is and if it qualifies as a condition which should be covered.

Labiaplasty insurance coverage in Canada

+1

You may want to ask your Gynecologist in Canada.

I have also provided a link below so you can read a little bit more and get informed.

My experience has been that Canadian patients can usually get coverage if they can persuade a primary care physician to act as their advocate.

In the ultimate analysis, if the problem bothers you enough, the private practice price may be well worth it.

Good Luck, I hope you get coverage!

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD