Wait After Having Children to Have Labiaplasty?

I am interested in having Labiaplasty surgery. Should I wait until I am done having children to have this procedure done?

Timing of labiaplasty in regards to childbirth

+1

There is no reason to not proceed with labiaplasty before childbirth.  The excess labial skin that is trimmed has no function and the scars will not interfere with delivery.

Timing of Labiaplasty and childbirth.

+1

The answer to your question is really a personal one. There is no medical reason to wait to have a Labiaplasty until after you are finished with childbirth. Many patients have this procedure before they are even considering having children because their appearance bothers them or they have other concerns. Your labia will change somewhat during and after childbirth but no one can say to what degree.

Do not need to wait till done with childbirth for labiaplasty

+1

Labiaplasty is a surgical technique to reduce the amount of skin and mucosal tissue in the labia of a female patient. It is possible that this skin may stretch during vaginal childbirth. However, if you are only going to deliver babies through C-section, you may perform the labiaplasty at any time.

Labiaplasty need not wait until after childbirth

+1

The labiaplasty is most commonly done to reduce the size of the labia minora and increase patient comfort. Many women find that modern fashions such as tight fitting pants and modern active lifestyles which include exercise, horseback riding, dancing, etc cause irritation of the labia. The labiaplasty can reduce the size of the labia minora and improve comfort, both physical and psychological for women who have large protruding labia minora.

Certainly, if you are planning on having a child in the next year or so it would be prudent to wait because childbirth will stress the vagina and labia and it is best not to stress a new or immature surgical wound.

However, if you are young, active and have no immediate plans fo having children, then there is no reason to wait if you are troubled by irritation caused by enlarged or hypertrophic labia minora. It is also quite common and acceptable if you just want cosmetic improvement of this important and sensitive region.

If you are considering labiaplasty I suggest that you inquire about laser labiaplasty as in my experience, using the laser to perform the labiaplasty is a much gentler and less traumatic procedure with less bleeding and tissue trauma. In addition, newer techniques which utilize a Superior Labial Flap technique provide a nicer cosmetic reult and avoid an exposed suture line at the vaginal opening as happens with traditional excisional techniques. This provides a syuperior cosmetic result and is a more natural anatomic result.

No need to wait

+1

Most of my labioplasty patients are undergoing a reduction in the length of the labia minora which are the inner labia or lips. Although the labia may elongate over the years , it should not be significant enough to warrant a reoperation . The healing time from the labioplasty is approximately 1 week. I use absorbable sutures , so no sutures have to be removed

Labiaplasty and timing relative to child birth or pregnancy

+1

Although this would seem to make the most sense, in my practice, nearly 60% of individuals seeking labiaplasty treatment have not had children. In many instances, a more conservative approach may be taken in comparison to an individual who has completed childbirth. Labiaplasty does refer to a group of procedures (labia minora reduction, labia majora reduction or agumentation) and so the procedure must be tailored to the individual and her unique circumstances.

Maybe wait after having children before Labiaplasty

+1

Labiaplasty surgery means different things to different people. Some of the procedures are simpler and would be less likely to change after childbirth. Labia minora reduction, the most common operation, should change the least with childbirth. There is always a chance that it could, however, even if it is a small one.

I would recommend you seek out an experienced surgeon to get an opinion.

Orange Plastic Surgeon