Can a Labiaplasty Correct an Oversized Labia Majora?

How painful is the procedure and what is the recovery like?

Labia majora reduction

+2

The short answer to your question is yes, Labiaplasty can correct over-sized labia majora.

In general, Labiaplasty falls into three types:  labia minora Labiaplasty, labia majora reduction, and clitoral hood reduction/advancement. Each of these is a straight forward procedure in the hands of a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon. Typically, the incisions are healed in 1-2 weeks but no sexual intercourse is recommended for 6 weeks.

In my experience, the amount of discomfort patients experience is relatively low and easily controlled with pain medication.

The three types of Labiaplasty are distinct from Vaginoplasty which involves tightening of the vaginal wall. 

Labiaplasty

+1
In my experience, a labiaplasty generally reduced the size of the labia minor. You can liposuction however the labia majora.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Reduction of the Labia Majora?

+1

It is no problem to reduce the size of either the labia majora or minora. However, I have found that frequently the majora is fine and the real problem is with the minora. Frequently a woman just doesn't like the looks of her labia and is not sure what it is that she doesn't like. Go in for an evaluation by an experienced plastic surgeon. He or she will assist you to your analysis.Good Luck.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty for labia majora

+1

Labia majora reduction can be done to reduce the excess tissue.  A physical exam will show whether there is excess skin and fat, or whether it is just fat.  The common approach is to excise the excess fat and skin and hide the scar as close the labia minora as possible.  The procedure can be done with local anesthesia or with sedation/general anesthesia.  The recovery will be several weeks of swelling reduction, but you can return to full activity (including sexual) after six weeks.

Hope this helps. 

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Labiaplasty

+1

The labia majora can be reduced and this is called a labia majora reduction. Labiaplasty usually refers to the labia minora, which are the smaller more loose tissue on the sides of the vagina orifice. A labia majora reduction is less common but can be performed, depending on your anatomy. Please discuss the anatomy and your situation with a board certifed plastic surgeon.

LEo Lapuerta MD

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Correction of Labia Majora

+1

Yes, surgical correction of labia majora is possible.  You need to make sure that you choose a surgeon who has experience in this procedure.  The recovery process is similar to the labia minora surgery.

Labia majora reduction - recovery and pain...

+1

In my experience, patients who undergo labia majora reduction seem to experience a similar post-op course as compared to those who have undergone labia minora labiaplasty. In both cases, provided the surgeon is skilled and careful with his technique, patients have bothersome discomfort for the first 2 - 3 days, followed by daily improvement. The time away from work or school is usually 3 - 5 days.

Labia majora reduction is a good procedure, and patients are usually very pleased afterward. It's advisable, however,  for a skilled plastic surgeon to be selected for this procedure.

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Labia majora reduction

+1
Your anatomy and your goals will determine the method of reduction. Different procedures have different recovery periods. I encourage you to be evaluated by a local Plastic surgeon for an evaluation. Sorry that without more information that I cannot be more specific. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty for Labia Majora

+1

Indeed Labiaplasty can be used to reduce the size of not only the Labia Minora but also the Labia Majora.

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently the Labia Majora as well, has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function.  To achieve these two most important elements, it is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.  Best of Luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD