Will a Labiaplasty Be Cheaper if You Only Need It Done to One Side?

I am considering a labiaplasty becuase the right labia minora is much larger and longer than the left. It is uncomfortable and very annoying. While i want to use the best gyno/surgeon in my area i am just wondering that if using general anethesia that if only one side needs to be reduced if the cost will be less.

Labiaplasty on one side only

+1
Many women come into my office because they have concerns about labia asymmetry. Yes, you can have labiaplasty on only one side if you prefer, and because this takes less time in the operating room, the cost is usually a little less.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Dr Knoetgen

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

One sided Labiaplasty

+1

Labia asymmetry is normal. Many people are uneven especially at the labia minora. Many of our patients request one sided labiaplasty. After an evaluation, it is very common to perform a one sided labiaplasty. The cost of one sided labiaplasty is lower than doing both side. Occasionally, we may recommend doing both sides if necessary. We perform our labiaplasty using local anesthesia or IV sedation in the privacy of our office as an outpatient procedure.

Stanley Okoro, MD

May Need Labiaplasty on Opposite Side.

+1

Even though the main problem might be on the right side,.you might achieve better symmetry by doing a smaller amount of surgery on the left side as well. I do most of these procedures under local anesthesia with oral sedation.  The cost might be a little less.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

One sided labiaplasty for labial hypertrophy

+1

Unilateral labiaplasty is often requested for women who have unilateral labial hypertrophy. I perform most of these procedures under local anesthesia with excellent results. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty cost for one side.

+1

Labiaplasty cost depends on what procedures are required to address your concerns, and whether you are doing this under anesthesia or with straight local anesthetic.  For a straight forward labiaplasty, the cost could be ~3000 - 5000 depending on where you go and if you are adding an operating fee and anesthesia fee.  If you are doing one side, the surgeon may often offer a price reduction on the surgical fee, but has limited control on the operating room fee or anesthesia fee.
Hope this helps.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

One side labiaplasty costs

+1

We commonly do this procedure under sedation with local anesthesia...if done properly, you will not feel anything, remember anything and have lower costs...ask your surgeon...

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

One-sided labiaplasty will be less expensive

+1

Although it depends on the policy of the surgeon, in general, performing procedures on only one side where typically both sides are done, will be cheaper.  It will take less time and materials to complete the surgery.  However, there are certain fixed costs under general anesthesia that do not shift in spite of the fact that only the right labia needs a reduction.  The surgery center time is typically paid by the hour, as are anesthesiologists to put you to sleep.  Their fees likely will not change in spite of having a unilateral procedure performed.

Samuel Sohn, MD

Labia Reduction on One Side

+1

Yes, in general, when performing labia reduction only on one side, the price will generally be lower because of lower OR time and anesthesia time.

Talk to your surgeon directly and discuss how the fees work in his/ her office.

Labiaplasty on one side only

+1

The entire body is never pefectly symmetric as is the case with the labia, so frequently patients just need a one sided (unilateral) labiaplasty.  In this case and at my surgery center the cost is typically reduced by about 30% (final cost ~$3000).  It is not half price because there is built in fixed costs to doing surgery whether the procedure takes 5 minutes or one hour.  Additionally, I typically do this procedure under light sedation ("twilight sleep") with topical and local anesthesia so that the patient recovers much faster right after surgery and doesn't feel so "out of it" for 3-4 days thereafter.  Glad I could help...RAS 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty (Labioplasty) Cost in Baltimore

+1

If less OR time is used to perform your Labiaplasty (labioplasty) surgery compared to the average procedure estimate, the Total surgical cost should correspondingly be less.  For example, your procedure may not require more than one hour of OR time, instead of a normal ~1 1/2 hour estimate.  In my practice that would translate to a difference of ~$400.  

On another subject, you mentioned the use of General Anesthesia. You should be aware that many plastic surgeons perform the Labiaplasty with Twilight IV sedation, instead of General Anesthesia.   The surgical result is no different, but the recovery from anesthesia is much more pleasant with Twilight IV Anesthesia.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD