Are Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty Usually Done Together?

Hi. I'm seriously thinking of having a mommy makeover and just wanted to know if I would also be able to have a labiaplasty and/or vaginoplasty. I'm just worried about the pain and recovery time if I had all these procedures done at the same time and it they're worth it. Thanks.

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty together

+1

If you need both procedures, it is best to do them simultaneously.  That way, you only have to go through the recovery once.  It is an uncomfortable recovery, but usually well worth it.

Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty

+1

HI,

Labiaplasty is the surgical reduction of the labia minora (the inner labial lips). Common reasons to have them reduced include pain, irritation with activity or intercourse or for improved aesthetic appearance. Most patients want the labia to be less apparent and protruding. Vaginoplasty is the surgical tightening of the vaginal introitus and perineum-it narrows the vaginal aperture to increase friction during intercourse. It is most commonly asked for by patients who have had multiple pregnancies with vaginal delivery and epesiotomies. They can easily be performed at the same time if you so wish. I frequently perform these procedures at the same time as other cosmetic surgery such as breast augmentation and tummy tuck and they do not significantly lengthen the recovery period for patients. They are well tolerated procedures.

Regards,

D. Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty Combination

+1

Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty are two totally different procedures done for completely different reasons on different pieces of anatomy.

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function.  To achieve these two most important elements, it is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

On the other hand, Vaginoplasty is performed to reconstruct (more or less tighten) the vaginal vault most typically following vaginal deliver child birth.  Again, the experience of the surgeon is the most important element to achieving a good result.  It is indeed possible to have both procedures done at the same time because these tissues have a robust blood supply and resiliency aiding them to heal extremely well relative to most other areas of the body.

Now for recovery, most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for 2 - 4 weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 - 4 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks (labiaplasty) - 6 weeks (vaginoplasty).  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best...Best of luck in your search...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD