Labiaplasty and Flying. Will I Be Able to Take a 13 Hour Long Haul Flight 2 Weeks Post Labiaplasty Surgery?

Hi - I am having my labia minora and clitoral hood reduced beginning of January - local anesthesia including twilight sedation. 17 days later, I need to take a 13 hour long haul flight. Is this safe - I heard that prolonged sitting is bad and the risk of blood clots is increased? Should I cancel my flight or will I be OK as long as I walk around a lot, use support stockings, put my legs up and perhaps take an aspirin pre-flight? Thank you!

Probably

+1

For the surgery you describe, you should probably be OK. I would check with your surgeon as we do differ technically as well as in our opinions on aftercare. On the aspirin, you want to ask your doctor as well.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labia Minora Reduction and Flying?

+1

I think you will be fine,  especially with the precautions you mention,  flying 2 weeks after labia minora reduction surgery.  Best to check with your plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_labialreduction.htm

Flying after a procedure can increase your risk for blood clots in some individuals.

+1

The risks for blood clots is increased when individuals fly. That is why it is important to do exercises in your seat and walk around. Typically procedures that are performed under twilight anesthesia do not increase your risk for blood clots because patients move around immediately after the procedure. Unfortunately after labiaplasty it is important to ice the area so as not to develop severe swelling. This is typically done while sitting. You may want to separate the time between your surgery and your trip so that you can be more active prior to travelling.

Travel after labiaplasty

+1

The labia heal quite quickly and by 2 weeks you should have minimal pain-That being said, a 13 hour flight is quite long, but it sounds like you know all of the right precautions to take. Support stocking, frequent walks and wiggling the toes will help you to get throught the flight without fear of a clot in the legs. Because you are not undergoing general anesthesia, the risk of clots is quite low. In summary, you should feel free to go on your trip. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Web reference: http://www.ClevelandPlasticSurgery.com

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Recovery

+1

Because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.

Long story short, yes you should be okay to fly as long as you are also cleared by your operating surgeon.  Although blood clots are a risk after just about any surgery, the risk 17 days after labiaplasty/hoodectomy typically would be negligible  Best of luck...RAS