Labiaplasty Aftercare Hygiene?

Is there anything I can do to clean myself in a way that avoids post Labiaplasty pain? Are yeast infections more common because of this?

Post operative labiaplasty instructions

Prior to a labiaplasty, I have all of my patients purchase a spray bottle and a sitz bath. They should spray water each time they urinate to keep the area clean. ANtibiotic ointment is placed 4-6 times per day to keep the incision line moist. I also give a presciption for either lidocaine spray or gel to help with post operative pain in addition to oral pain meds. Yeast infections are a result of the antibiotics given to prevent bacterial infections. In patients who know they are prone to these infections, I will often givea presciption for an anti-fungal medication and have them fill it as needed after discussing with me. Hope that helps.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Aftercare

Labiaplasty aftercare is all about preventing infection and preventing mechanical traction on the delicate healing scars. For infection prevention, the best option by far is to irrigate the area with a dilute solution of chlorhexidine gluconate - it's a standard surgical soap available over the counter as Hibiclens. Dilute it with tap water in a squirt bottle and irrigate your bottom each time you use the bathroom. When using toilet tissue, dab, but do not forcefully wipe. Nothing more, nothing less. Applying antibiotic ointments is likely to cause skin irritation and delay healing and should be avoided. In addition, the more you manipulate the area by applying the cream, the more chance you have of causing scar separations. Keep your hands off the scars and resist the urge to peek and get a better look. Soaking your bottom in a Sitz bath is probably the worst thing you can do after a labiaplasty -  the tissues will soften around the stitches making the scar weaker. Unlike a vaginoplasty or an episiotomy, the stitches holding a labiaplasty together are not very strong.

Pain is not a common complaint from my patients.

As long as you are following all the necessary steps to minimize swelling, the pain should be minimal.  More cleaning does not mean less pain.  You can shower normally the day following surgery but avoid bathing.  The sutures can dissolve too quickly if you wash or soak the area too much.  Yeast infections don't happen as a result of the surgery.  The most common reason for a yeast infection would be if you had to take antibiotics following surgery to treat an infection somewhere else in the body.  

Labiaplasty aftercare

I usually recommend cleaning the area with half peroxide, half saline and applying antibiotic ointment several times a days until the sutures dissolve.  Pain is treated with pain medication and yeast infections with antifungals.

Susan Kolb, MD

Labiaplasty Aftercare

First, you should ask your surgeon about aftercare as they would be more familiar with your situation. However, in general I recommend that patients apply anaesthetic spray in the couple of days after surgery, along with taking a sitz bath a minimum of once per day. Polysporin also helps.   

Labiaplasty aftercare.

Gentle cleansing, and avoiding excessive washing or rubbing (so as not to prematurely dissolve your sutures), while avoiding infection (yeast or bacteria) will allow your tissues to heal in this warm, wet, and constantly-moving area. Sitting on a toilet or any surface puts incredible stresses on healing surgical wounds, and it seems a miracle that we can get these areas to heal up at all!

But they do, in most cases, by just following the rules and not doing ANYTHING to excess, including what seems like "good" things, such as washing. One of my most recent labiaplasty patients was so obsessive about cleanliness and trying to avoid odor that she scrubbed her genital area multiple times each day and multiple times after each urination. It's a wonder she only tore open two small areas of her suture line. They can't be "re-closed" in many cases, so getting things right the first time is crucial to a good result.

There are good medications (oral, and topical if your doctor allows) that can treat yeast infections that commonly occur with oral or topical antibiotics, so ask your surgeon about this and don't obsess about "keeping it clean." Often too clean is worse than just letting things heal with as little intervention as possible. Obviously, it's a fine balance, so talk (and listen) to your surgeon.

Pain is not as bad as most women worry about, but there are good pain medications that can help you for the few days they are usually necessary. I know there are many questions on this site about excessive pain many days and even weeks after the surgery, but that is truly not the norm--these are the exceptions asking for help. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Post Labiaplasty Yeast Infections

Post labiaplasty yeast infections are most likely due to oral antibiotics given around the time of surgery.  It is appropriate to take such antibiotics to decrease the chance of bacterial infection, but unfortunately this sometimes opens the door to yeast infections, which by the way are easier to treat. 

I have my patients shower the day after surgery, washing this area gently with soap and water.  Gently spraying this area with soapy water each time you use the bathroom will help keep this area clean.  After each washing, gently pat the area dry with a clean towel or hand cloth.  Topical antibiotics for 3 days is appropriate. 

If you develop a yeast infection, your surgeon can prescribe an oral medication which should clear up the yeast problem in a day or so. 

Labiaplasty: care after sugery

I agree with all of the answers below:

1. warm sitz baths
  2. soapy water
  3. antibacterial cream
  4. cool compresses
  5. gentle hand held shower

Labiaplasty aftercare and hygiene

I usually have patients shower or sit in a warm bath tub begining 24-48 Hr after a labiaplasty.  I also have them use a topical antibiotic ointment for the first 1 to 2 weeks following the procedure.  However, I would avoid hot water or heating pads as this can increase swelling and pain.  Cool moist compresses can help with initial swelling and discomfort.   Labiaplasty should not increase the risk or frequency of yeast infections.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Aftercare Hygiene

You should follow your doctor's post operative instructions.  I let all my patients shower after 24 hours.  My patients are instructed to get a water bottle to rinse after using the bathroom and then pat the area dry.  We don't want them wiping and accidentally pulling on the stitches.

Yeast infections are probably related to the use of antibiotics before and/or after surgery.  It is best to contact your doctor if you suspect a yeast infection and not just use over the counter medications.