Labiaplasty Aftercare Hygiene?

Is there anything I can do to clean myself in a way that avoids post Labiaplasty pain? Are yeast infections more common because of this?

Post operative labiaplasty instructions

+2

Prior to a labiaplasty, I have all of my patients purchase a spray bottle and a sitz bath. They should spray water each time they urinate to keep the area clean. ANtibiotic ointment is placed 4-6 times per day to keep the incision line moist. I also give a presciption for either lidocaine spray or gel to help with post operative pain in addition to oral pain meds. Yeast infections are a result of the antibiotics given to prevent bacterial infections. In patients who know they are prone to these infections, I will often givea presciption for an anti-fungal medication and have them fill it as needed after discussing with me. Hope that helps.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty aftercare

+1
I usually recommend cleaning the area with half peroxide, half saline and applying antibiotic ointment several times a days until the sutures dissolve.  Pain is treated with pain medication and yeast infections with antifungals.

Susan Kolb, MD

Labiaplasty Aftercare

+1
Caring for the surgical site will help decrease complication risks while also promoting healing and comfort. I recommend patients begin to apply anaesthetic spray during the first two days of recovery, take at least one sitz bath per day and apply ice to the operating area for three to seven days in order to minimize bruising/swelling. A thin pad should be placed between the incision site and the ice to avoid direct contact.
The surgical site should not be exposed to the sun (this includes tanning) until completely healed.

During the first two weeks, showering is allowed, followed by the application of a light layer of Polysporin and a small gauze, worn in the underwear. When cleaning, be very gentle. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Pain is not a common complaint from my patients.

+1

As long as you are following all the necessary steps to minimize swelling, the pain should be minimal.  More cleaning does not mean less pain.  You can shower normally the day following surgery but avoid bathing.  The sutures can dissolve too quickly if you wash or soak the area too much.  Yeast infections don't happen as a result of the surgery.  The most common reason for a yeast infection would be if you had to take antibiotics following surgery to treat an infection somewhere else in the body.  

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Labiaplasty aftercare.

+1

Gentle cleansing, and avoiding excessive washing or rubbing (so as not to prematurely dissolve your sutures), while avoiding infection (yeast or bacteria) will allow your tissues to heal in this warm, wet, and constantly-moving area. Sitting on a toilet or any surface puts incredible stresses on healing surgical wounds, and it seems a miracle that we can get these areas to heal up at all!

But they do, in most cases, by just following the rules and not doing ANYTHING to excess, including what seems like "good" things, such as washing. One of my most recent labiaplasty patients was so obsessive about cleanliness and trying to avoid odor that she scrubbed her genital area multiple times each day and multiple times after each urination. It's a wonder she only tore open two small areas of her suture line. They can't be "re-closed" in many cases, so getting things right the first time is crucial to a good result.

There are good medications (oral, and topical if your doctor allows) that can treat yeast infections that commonly occur with oral or topical antibiotics, so ask your surgeon about this and don't obsess about "keeping it clean." Often too clean is worse than just letting things heal with as little intervention as possible. Obviously, it's a fine balance, so talk (and listen) to your surgeon.

Pain is not as bad as most women worry about, but there are good pain medications that can help you for the few days they are usually necessary. I know there are many questions on this site about excessive pain many days and even weeks after the surgery, but that is truly not the norm--these are the exceptions asking for help. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Post Labiaplasty Yeast Infections

+1

Post labiaplasty yeast infections are most likely due to oral antibiotics given around the time of surgery.  It is appropriate to take such antibiotics to decrease the chance of bacterial infection, but unfortunately this sometimes opens the door to yeast infections, which by the way are easier to treat. 

I have my patients shower the day after surgery, washing this area gently with soap and water.  Gently spraying this area with soapy water each time you use the bathroom will help keep this area clean.  After each washing, gently pat the area dry with a clean towel or hand cloth.  Topical antibiotics for 3 days is appropriate. 

If you develop a yeast infection, your surgeon can prescribe an oral medication which should clear up the yeast problem in a day or so. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty: care after sugery

+1

I agree with all of the answers below:

1. warm sitz baths
  2. soapy water
  3. antibacterial cream
  4. cool compresses
  5. gentle hand held shower

Labiaplasty aftercare and hygiene

+1

I usually have patients shower or sit in a warm bath tub begining 24-48 Hr after a labiaplasty.  I also have them use a topical antibiotic ointment for the first 1 to 2 weeks following the procedure.  However, I would avoid hot water or heating pads as this can increase swelling and pain.  Cool moist compresses can help with initial swelling and discomfort.   Labiaplasty should not increase the risk or frequency of yeast infections.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Aftercare Hygiene

+1

You should follow your doctor's post operative instructions.  I let all my patients shower after 24 hours.  My patients are instructed to get a water bottle to rinse after using the bathroom and then pat the area dry.  We don't want them wiping and accidentally pulling on the stitches.

Yeast infections are probably related to the use of antibiotics before and/or after surgery.  It is best to contact your doctor if you suspect a yeast infection and not just use over the counter medications.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Labiaplasty aftercare key to reducing pain and infection

+1

Aftercare following labiaplasty is very important so that you can reduce swelling and infection. I ask the patients to purchase compression shorts, a water bottle and antibiotic oinment. After surgery I have the patients wear ice and place it on the labia, 24/7 for 3-4 days. i also ask the patients to wash every time they urinate or have a bowel movement with a water bottle filled with soapy water squirted over the labia. the area is then dried, antibiotic oinment is placed. This has seemed to help a lot

Laurie Casas, MD