I had labiaplasty 11 days ago and noticed a slice at the top where I think stitches were. Will it heal? (Photo)

The very top seems to have a big slice and I don't think it will heal and I'm very worried. I know it's only early days but will I need re stitched? Also I don't think I'm healing okay compared to the other photos I've seen. So some feedback would be great. My first witht the surgeon isn't until June, so roughly 8 weeks.

Healing after labiaplasty

+2
I would make sure you have follow up with your surgeon to voice your concerns. These findings are a fairly common occurrence during the healing phase and are usually the result of swelling that can take greater than 4 weeks to resolve. I would be patient, and if there is a problem long term than this could be revised fairly easily under local anesthesia. Good luck

Gaurav Bharti

Johnson City Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty swelling after surgery

+1
In our office, we specialize in labiaplasty revision. It appears that the area of concern is related to the swelling and suture placement from your labiaplasty. Speak to your surgeon about addressing these two issues in the early period of recovery. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Deformity after labiaplasty

+1
I reviewed your photos. You had a trimming labia reduction with sutures closing the wound.  The appearance is due to swelling and the large sutures.  Your swelling will decrease with time but you may need a revision.  The type of revision depends on the final abnormality.   I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. If necessary, you only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, MD

I had labiaplasty 11 days ago and noticed a slice at the top where I think stitches were. #Labiaplasty

+1
Eleven day sis too early to make a determiantion on this issue.  In genearl, for this procedure and this region of the body there is LOT of swellling and, because of that, the anatomy tends to be distorted.  This exaggerates each aspect of the appearance.

That being said, it is not unheard of to need or want a small revision after plastic surgery, even including "closing" an area that has healed in a less than ideal manner.  That could include what you're talking about, at least beased on the photos.

You should remain in contact with your plastic surgeon throughout the entire recovery period and then, at seeral months post-op (many people would recommend that you wait at least six months before making a decision on a revision) you can consider another procedure.  Hopefully, things will have healed well enough so that you will not need or want that.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E
Member of RealSelf 100

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Concerns over incisions

+1
should always be reviewed with your surgeon.  But in general, wounds that come apart are usually not just stitched up again as that maneuver will ultimately fail.  Focus on your healing, let your surgeon know of your concerns, and when you are healed, then get critical about your results and appearances.  If your surgeon wants the best outcome for you, your surgeon should be willing to listen to your concerns and come up with options for improving your outcome.

Curtis Wong, MD

Healing after labiaplasty

+1
Swelling after any surgery can sometimes amplify irregularities and cause concern.  When you look at the labial minora, it is not a smooth contour, unlike the labia majora on each side or the mons pubis in front.  When the tissues are swollen after labiaplasty, then the tissue juncture between the sutured edges may show a notch, which is like what you are describing.  Patients may still recognize irregularity or areas of firmness after any surgery at 6 weeks post-operatively.  As time goes on that will improve. 

Patients that seek labiaplasty do so because of discomfort or excessive show of the labia minora between the labia majora. I have never had one complain that they did not like the irregularity of the contour.  After the swelling decreases and the tissues feel softer, a fold or notch will not really be noticed  by anyone but you.  I believe that as time goes by, that this will become less of an issue.  If your are concerned enough to need more information, then call or schedule a follow-up post-op check with your surgeon.  Given more time, I would expect that it should become satisfactory.  I like to see my post-op patients between 2 to 4 weeks after surgery to reassure them and answer questions.  (Frequently the timing of the visits is dependent on how far away they live from my office and how convenient it is for them to come back for follow-up)   

John M. Weeter, MD