Can a Labial Frenectomy Cause the Space Between the Nose and Upper Lip to Widen in Older Patients?

I swear my upper lip has dropped after this laser procedure was performed by highly competent periodontist. The purpose was to correct the gum line of the two front incisors. I have had Botox treatments to the upper lip for the past few years. Patient age 58. The literature suggests this doesn't normally happen, yet I'm quite certain this has been the result of the frenectomy. Has this happened to anyone else?

Upper Lip Lengthening after Botox and Frenectomy

+1

Botox to the muscle in this area can lengthen the upper lip or the apparent length.  Depending upon what was done with the frenectomy, this may have lengthened the upper lip as well.  If there was tissue rearrangement, there can be lip lengthening as well.

Labial Frenectomy

+1

It is difficult to give a definite answer to this question, without being aware of the details of the procedure as well as your anatomy prior to the procedure.

In your question you mentioned that you have had Botox injections.  Neuromodulators can give you drooping of your lip.  Therefore you may want to try stopping any neuromodulator (such as Botox, Dysport or Xeomin) into your upper lip and see if your upper lip improves after six months without any injections into this area.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon