Labiaplasty Itching?

i am now 6 weeks after my labia plasty, everything is healing well, i noteced that the stitches is coming out and i can pull them, and some light pain there in the and of my labia where the stiches was. when i press i feel some light pain, is that normal?? also there is some rough itching spot at the end of my labia where the sutures is. it is rough and itching. the doctor said all this will gone but this spot took so long and it is not an infiction.

Labiaplasty itching

+1

The itching and light pain is probably due to continued dissolving of some sutures. However, it may be due to scar discomfort.  You should be fine once the sutures all dissolve.  If not, a strong cortisone cream can eventually be used to calm down any painful scar tissue. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Recovery with labiaplasty surgery

+1

The itching may represent the nerves returning in function, or may be a yeast infection of some sort. I would discuss with your plastic surgeon and gynecologist. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sutures do dissolve

+1

after labiaplasty but at different rates for different people.  Hopefully by now, all of your sutures have dissolved and fallen out. Itching is very common while healing as your tissue releases histamines during this process.  Taking an anti-histamine (and there are several over the counter that you can get) can help if its still an issue for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labiaplasty - Itching Post-Op

+1

It sounds like it's within a normal rate of healing, although you should obviously remain in contact with your surgeon.  When dissolvable (absorbable) sutures are used, as is typically the case for this procedure, they will dissolve a little at a time and as some of the inner portions dissolve, some "strings" may become visible.  Rather than pull on them, though, I'd suggest you ask your surgeon how he or she wants you to take care of this.  You may, in fact, be able to trim the protruding sutures (that's what I usually recommend) but I would advise against pulling anything out.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Itching after Labiaplasty

+1

Part of the natural healing process after any surgery is itching due to the chemicals released by the body during inflammation, which can last for several months even.  Absorbable suture material also requires inflammation to dissolve it away so this can be another contributing factor.   Nonetheless, it is always best to double check with your operating surgeon to make sure everything is healing well.  Glad to help... @drryanstanton

Ryan Stanton, MD

Healing after labiaplasty.

+1

Do not pull on the sutures.  They take a while to fully disolve.  Itching is a natural side effect to healing. It sounds reasonable what you were told. 

Itching and Labiaplasty

+1

If a suture remnant remains, this can certainly worsen irritation and cause itching.  Light pain is not unreasonable either.