I Had Labia Reduction Done Just About 3 1/2 Weeks Ago and Still Have Some Stitches, Is this Normal?

When can I expect them to fully dissolve? Is there anything I can do or put on them to help the process?

Labiaplasty sutures

+1

The dissolvable sutures can persist for over a month, depending on the suture material used by your surgeon.  If any sutures are irritating you at this point, it would be safe for your surgeon to remove the

Abington Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does It Take For Sutures In A Labiaplasty To Resorb?

+1

Each plastic surgeon has his or her own technique for suturing up the tissue in a labiaplasty.  Some surgeons use permanent sutures, some quick dissolving sutures, and some use sutures that are in between the two.  I believe 3-1/2 weeks is sufficient to have your tissue healed well, and I think it would be appropriate to see your plastic surgeon to have whatever remaining sutures or pieces of suture removed.  Also, I am sure your plastic surgeon would be very happy to see his or her excellent post operative results.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Sutures after labiaplasty

+1

Sutures are used for labiaplasty procedures.  They can be permanent or dissolvable sutures.  Even dissolvable sutures may linger for weeks and even if buried, they can come out through the incision and cause irrigation.  At 3.5 weeks after surgery, I would go see your surgeon.  Remaining sutures can often be removed safely and remove a possible source of irritation.  Good luck.

Choice of suture

+1

You need to see your surgeon. I use dissolving sutures for labiaplasty but suture choice varies between surgeons.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty - Stitches still there at 3 1/2 weeks

+1

Depending on what types of stitches (sutures) were used, this may be perfectly normal.  Ask you surgeon what type of sutures were used and make sure that your recovery is normal.  If the ends of the stitches are bothering you it may be possible to have the trimmed by your surgeon.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Healing after labioplasty

+1

surgeons use different sutures for labiaplasty.   smaller chromic dissolve in 7-10 days  ,  vicryl take longer and monocryl even longer.  ask your doctor what he or she used

Labiaplasty stitches

+1

Hi,

The stitches that I use on the outside dissolve in 2 weeks. The sutures under the skin can take up to 3 months to dissolve. If your external stitches have not dissolved yet (after 4 weeks), then the suture type was more long lasting and should be removed at this point to prevent permanent lines from forming where the stitches groove the tissue.

Regards.

Daniel Medalie, MD

Web reference: http://www.ClevelandPlasticSurgery.com

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty stitches

+1

Most dissolvable stitches used on the skin surface for this procedure dissolve within 2-3 weeks.  It is possible for this to take longer depending on patient variables or if a longer lasting stitch was used.  Best to consult back with your operating surgeon to know for sure.  Best of luck...RAS

Labia Reduction and Sutures

+1

Most surgeons performing this operation  use dissolvable sutures. Depending on exactly what type of suture  was used in your case,  you should find that they will “dissolve” by 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively. Check with your surgeon for a more precise answer.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_labialreduction.htm