Still Very Swollen 3 Weeks After Labiaplasty with Hood Reduction, Normal?

I has Labia Plasty as well hood reductions and my Clitoral hood is still swollen and I feel the same as it was on week 2 how long is it going to take for the hood and labia attached to the clit to stop looking hard and very large as i Noticed in pre op that area is usually very small?

Swelling after Labiaplasty with Clitoral Hood Reduction?

+1

Always best to follow-up with your plastic surgeon for direct examination of the area. Generally speaking, swelling after this type of surgery may persist for the first 4 to 6 weeks.  This can be especially persistent when clitoral hood reduction is performed as part of the procedure.

Labiaplasty swelling

+1

It is common for swelling to last several weeks following a labiaplasty.  Avoiding excessive activity may help to speed your recovery.

David Stoker, MD

Labiaplasty swelling

+1

Because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly but it also swells a lot after surgery or trauma.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  I would say that about 70 - 80% of the swelling is gone by a month after surgery but it can take up to three months or so for every last bit of swelling to subside.

Most importantly I first recommend following up with your surgeon to see what s/he thinks.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD