Labia Minora Asymmetry?

I have an asymmetrical set of labia minora. One is twice the length of the other one; they are each 0.5cm and 1cm approximately. I have a couple of questions regarding this: first, is 1cm considered long? How severe is my asymmetry? Is this okay? And would you recommend labia reduction? That's all for now. Thank you in advance for your time and concern!

Labia asymmetry - is this normal?

+3

This is very normal. No two labia's look exactly the same.  I have preformed many labiaplasties for patients with your concerns. It really just depends on how much it bugs you either emotionally or physically. If you continue to be bothered by it,  I strongly recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for some advice. 

Jennifer Harrington MD

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Labia Asymmetry

+2

Like most halves of our bodies, the labia too are rarely perfectly symmetric.  In general, the primary indication for labiaplasty is patient dissatisfaction with the appearance and/or function.  0.5 and 1 cm length are frankly not considered excessive but I have had numerous patients satisfied with labiaplasty after only removing a very small amount.  The next step would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon (or gynecologist) that specializes in labiaplasty to further explore your options and develop a final plan.  Glad to help... 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labia Minora Asymmtery

+2

It is normal to have different sizes of labia minora.  1 cm of width is a common width to leave them after labiaplasty, so they are not particularly overgrown.  Treat them only if they bother you symptomatically or cosmetically.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Labia surgery

+2

is a very personal decision and you should be doing it if something really bothers you about them.  If they are asymmetric, that is nothing abnormal.  If they don't bother you in any way, don't have the surgery.  Make sure your motivations are from you before having this surgery.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labia Minora Asymmetry and Labiaplasty

+2

Labia minora asymmetry is not uncommon and is not abnormal.  Labial lengths of 0.5 and 1.0 cm are also within the normal range.  I would not consider your asymmetry severe and would only suggest a labiaplasty if it causes you physical or psychological discomfort.  Best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Labia minora asymmetry OK? (San Diego)

+2

No, 1 cm. long labia minora is not abnormal, and no, asymmetry is not abnormal.  There is a wide range of appearance and dimension of vulvar structures within normal limits.  For this reason, labiaplasty and other vulvar procedures to adjust size, shape, and symmetry are considered "cosmetic."  If the asymmetry or other features bother you, correction should be considered, but be assured and confident that YES, it is OK.  

Steve Laverson, MD

Labia Minora Asymmetry?

+2

In general, 1 cm of projection is not a great deal of projection.  The choice to even them out is up to you.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Labia Minora Reduction Candidate?

+2

Thank you for the question. Some degree of labia minora asymmetry is quite common. Although it is not possible to determine whether you are a good candidate for labia minora reduction surgery based on the limited information here, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.

Enlarged labia minora can be functionally or psycho-socially bothersome. Local irritation, problems with personal hygiene, interference or discomfort with sexual intercourse and discomfort during cycling, horseback riding, wearing exercise clothing, walking or sitting are common complaints related to enlarged labia minora.
For these patients, judicious reduction of the labia minora may serve to improve the physical comfort during specific activity. Often, patients may not have symptoms related to the labia minora but are simply not pleased with the appearance of the redundant and/or dark skin. Surgical correction for these patients may help improve the patient’s self image or confidence. In these cases, like any procedure performed for “aesthetic” reasons, it is important to ascertain that the patient is internally motivated (doing the procedure for herself) not motivated by another party.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Labia asymmetry

+1

Yes this is normal. The procedure to give you better symmetry is a 30 minute surgery and the healing process is several weeks. Plastic surgeons operate on many "normal" parts of the body to make patients feel better about their bodies.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty for asymmetry of the labia minora in Los Angeles

+1

You may be a candidate for a unilateral or mini labiaplasty to improve symmetry of the labia minora. This is a procedure that is commonly performed. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS