Which Lab Tests (For Rhinoplasty) if Any Will Insurance Cover if Part of Yearly Physical?

My surgeon, who will be performing rhinoplasty, gave me a script for a bunch of lab tests that need to be taken no earlier than 2 weeks prior to surgery. He said the tests would cost me a few hundred dollars, but insurance might cover some of them if they were part of blood work that my doctor needed. Should I show my doctor the list of tests and ask if she would benefit from having the results and ask if she will write the script so that my insurance will cover or am I just creating an awkward situation?

Lab tests

+1

Good question, but it depends on your policy.  You need to have the tests before your surgery.  If any part of the surgery is functional, they should be covered.  If it is all cosmetic, hard to say for sure.  Also, deductibles apply if you have them and the tests are covered.  

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Insurance for rhinoplasty tests

+1

Thank you for your question. Typically your insurance company will cover the required tests if done or requested by your primary care physician. These are fairly standard tests with results that can be sent to both your primary and your plastic surgeon. Show your primary the list and ask for their help. It is likely an easy way to eliminate some unnecessary costs.

Best of luck with your nose.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Insurance for rhinoplasty lab tests

+1

You can give your physician who is doing the physical your list of requested lab work and whatever tests he needs you can then take those off the requested exams from your rhinoplasty surgeon and ask for the results to be sent to both doctors and those should be covered by your insurance. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD