I would like to reduce the height of the bridge & add a curve to the nose tip. Would this be possible? (photos)

My nose has always been big; it has a long and pointy tip and the bridge is very high. I would like to reduce the height of the bridge and maybe add a very slight curve so that the tip is not as sharp and low. Would this be possible? Also, I know I have a weak chin- I blame my genetics!

Are you a Candidate for Rhinoplasty?

+2
From what I can see, you look like an excellent candidate.  This appears to be a fairly straightforward reduction rhinoplasty (i.e. lower the bridge, shorten the columella, deproject the tip to match the new dorsum, refine it on front view, etc....) Make sure you see someone who uses photo imaging so that he/she can show you on your own face what their aesthetic goals for your nose would be and you can communicate the same back.  We use Vectra imaging in my office and I love the 3D aspect of rhinoplasty that it is able to show.  Also, go over many before-and-after photos and find someone with a similar looking nose before surgery.  Good luck, it should turn out beautifully.

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Surgery

+2
The things that you mention you want to improve are part of what I do in a rhinoplasty surgery. I do this as an outpatient. The recovery is usually about two weeks and you have a splint on your nose to protect it for about a week. By reducing the size of your nose, it will lessen the appearance that your chin is weaker!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I would like to reduce the height of the bridge & add a curve to the nose tip. Would this be possible?

+2
If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough, it can be cosmetically improved with a rhinoplasty. Whether it is worth doing is a decision that is personal and only you can make. A receding chin can be improved with a natural appearing chin implant.

Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The extent and length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Conservative Changes with Rhinoplasty Surgery

+2
Conservative changes as you have suggested can make a tremendous difference in the appearance of your nose and provide a natural result. Select an experienced specialist so you can achieve the desired result. 

Reducing bridge height and tip sharpness

+1
It sounds like you're interested in reducing your bridge fullness and creating what we call a supratip break (subtle depressed curvature just above the tip). You'd likely also want to reduce your tip projection a bit to help balance out your nose further as well.

We're a bit limited in just seeing your one profile photo, but rhinoplasty surgery should be able to help you make the changes you're looking for. You should meet with a rhinoplasty surgeon who can do preoperative digital morphing to simulate the changes that you'd like to make to help ensure that you and your surgeon are on the same page.

In the meantime you can read more about nose deprojection and see some before and after photos at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate for nasal hump reduction and tip refinement

+1
The rhinoplasty procedure can address conservatively shortening the long and pointy tip. The dorsal hump which is creating a large nose is composed of both bone and cartilage must be shaved down. Osteotomies of the nasal bones will be required as well. A super tip break can also be created which gives a very slight curve  between the bridge and tip that you are asking for. Computer imaging would also be helpful in the education process which can be performed on line as well as in a plastic surgery office. 

Nasal Refinement

+1
Reducing the nasal bridge and refining the tip are the most common adjustments made to the nose during rhinoplasty. You appear to be a terrific candidate for a conservative rhinoplasty -- your surgical goals seem very realistic. In addition, further improvement in your profile may be achieved with a chin implant.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1
I think you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty.  The bridge can be lowered a bit, your tip refined and lifted a bit.  Pretty straightforward rhinoplasty.  Go on a few consults until you find an experienced surgeon you believe can achieve your goals.  Good luck !

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Reducing the tip of the nose

+1
Reducing the tip of the nose is very achievable. Understanding the tent concept of the nose allows us to determine what type of refinement is necessary given the thickness of the skin. Like a thick tarp over a tent, the skin can blunt the effects of the aesthetic tip of the nose. Tip refinement consists of cartilage manipulation, debulking, and support to ensure that the desired result is achieved. Combining a chin augmentation surgery can balance the aesthetic of the face. 

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Yes, you can absolutely have a rhinoplasty to address the bridge and curve of your nose.  Adding a chin implant would also project the chin and add balance to your lower face.  Many times, a recessed or small chin will make the nose appear larger.  Having  rhinoplasty and chin surgery can be done at the same time.