Procedures for a Whole Nasal Bone Break Down? (photo)

Hi, I was advise to do a septo/rhino/alar-plasty together, to break down my whole nasal bone and straighten it, smaller the width/nostrils and sharpen the tip. With such a procedure, would it be recommended to have a rib cartilage harvested for my nose? Or can the doctor use my old cartilage if he could avoid breaking too many of them? With all that, can my tip be sharp and pointed too? What is the another alternative to prevent depression without harvesting my rib/ear cartilage.

Septorhinoplasty with Alar Reduction

+2

Dear Joseph, 

I do not see any reason you would need to have rib cartilage harvested to have your Septorhinoplasty and alar reduction with very favorable results. You can use autologous cartilage if needed from the septum or ear. Yes your tip may may be sharpened by either a cartilage graft or an alloplastic implant depending on your anatomic requirements or your surgeons preference. Thank you for your photographs I believe I recall you posting a question the other day and the photographs are always helpful in giving a further expert opinion. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rib cartilage in a primary rhinoplasty.

+1
Assuming your case is a primary rhinoplasty there is no obvious need for rib cartilage grafts.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recommendations for rhinoplasty

+1

You don't need a rib graft. Rib grafts are used to build up the nose, especially when the bridge is too low. You might need a columellar strut graft but that can be done using septal cartilage. It is important to go to a good rhinoplasty surgeon who can discuss your goals and to explain what it would take to "get you there". Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Rib Graft For Rhinoplasty

+1

I do not see anything extraordinary about your nose that would necessitate the effort of a rib graft to achieve significant improvement. Extraordinary means that you would have a cartilage deficiency/need for which septum or ear cartilage would not suffice.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty can be done without a rib graft.

+1

Rhinoplasty can be done without a rib graft to give you all of the things you mentioned using your septal and ear cartilage, Over 35 years of rhinoplasty I have not had to use a rib graft.

Sites of cartilage harvest for grafts in rhinoplasty.

+1

Is this a primary rhinoplasty?  The amount of cartilage that is necessary depends on the degree of tip projection and dorsal augmentation you want to achieve (how tall you want to make your nose).  If you only want a conservative amount, it may be attainable with cartilage harvested from your septum.  Often, though, additional cartilage is necessary and would have to come from either your ear or rib.     

Donald B. Yoo, MD