What Can I Do Before my Liposuction Procedure to Get the Best Result Possible?

Liposuction and Best Results

+2

Your best results will be achieved by finding an expert plastic surgeon with ELITE credenitals who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  The postoperative care is critical as I recommend compression garments for 4 to 6 weeks that are worn snugly over the areas liposuctioned.  Any seromas should be drained quickly.  Taking it easy in the first 4 to 6 weeks is important as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

The most important thing you can do to prepare for liposuction is to commit to a life of healthy eating and exercise.

+2

I have performed liposuction on thousands of people, and almost always the ones who are not happy afterwards are those who gain weight after the procedure. Liposuction is a one time intervention, but to maintain results, commitment to a healthy lifestyle is important.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

You Can Optimize Your Preparation For Liposuction Surgery

+2
Your results after liposuction or another cosmetic procedure is dependent on some factors in your control and some that are not.  Your surgeon's skill is not in your control, but the selection of your surgeon is.  Look for someone with significant liposuction and body contouring experience and ask to see representative before and after photos.  Ask them about their revision rate and revision policy.  Your body type and skin condition will have an effect on the outcome but is outside your control.  Ask your surgeon how far from the ideal candidate you are and how they will manage your anatomy.  Infection can be reduced with the proper use of antibiotics around surgery, avoiding shaving the surgical site, per operative showers with hibiclens and reducing the risk of hypothermia during surgery.  Ask your surgeon about the risk of a blood clot and how they will manage that risk.  Avoid smoking.  If you are diabetic, manage your blood sugar.  Exercise, hydrate well, and prepare your home for the postoperative period.  Best of luck!

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Nothing specific done prior to surgery will enhance the results of liposuction.

+1

The results of any operation are enhance when the patient shows up healthy and ready for surgery.  Aspirin and NSAIDs probably should be stopped a few days before surgery but this is not absolutely necessary.  Arnica doesn't do anything and neither do vitamins.

Preparing for Liposuction

+1

Congrats on your decision to go forward with liposuction.  Most of us feel that it can offer great benefits and satisfaction even when people are not the "perfect" liposuction candidate (meaning perfect skin and very little excess of fat).  Makes sure you keep yourself well hydrated before the procedure and avoid aspirin or herbals that can make you bruise more.  There are not any skin creams or topicals that are known to enhance results.  But, be prepared to be compliant in wearing your postoperative compression garments.  Those help with the shaping and swelling.  If you are still weeks or months away from your procedure, continue doing well with your diet and exercise program.  Physical fitness will always enhance your shape and ultimate result.

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD