Can This Horrific Tummy Tuck Be Revised? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck several years ago that lead to horrible results. I developed necrosis and my scar is devastating. I am a non smoker with a healthy bmi. I also hate the belly button. I would like to move forward ASAP.

Revising an Unsatisfactory Tummy Tuck

+2

It is easy to see why you would be distressed with th results of your surgery.  There might be a variety of ways to improve your result and make you feel better about the hard recovery you had previously.  Photos alone are not enough information from which to give you choices.  An in person consultation would be best.

Can my horrific tummy tuck result be improved?

+2

Thank you for your question and photos. It is difficult to give an exact answer based on these photos. In general, what is in you favor, is that you are years out from your surgery. This allows the tissues to repair themselves and soften. Scarring might limit how much of the bad skin can be removed. To assess your tissues and laxity, you need to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation. Most likely you will need the abdominoplasty redone. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck revision after a bad abdominoplasty - Los Angeles

+1

Perhaps some more detailed history would provide the next surgeon with information as to why the abdominoplasty failed the first time. I think options may be available, but some may require staged correction. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scarred Tummy Tuck

+1

I am sorry to hear about your results.  Thanks for the photos.  To revise your abdomen it might be necessary to place tissue expanders beneath the skin first and then stretch the skin out over several months.  Once excess skin has been obtained then a revision tummy tuck can be performed.  It requires two operations.  I recommend an in office consultation.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Can this Tummy Tuck result be Revised?

+1

Thanks for the photos and sorry to hear about your experience.  There are a number of factors which can lead to a poor Tummy Tuck result.  Before you move forward, it would help to narrow down the possible reasons for this result so that you could attain a more optimal result second time around. 

That being said, as mentioned by the other's I would also say that a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in this type of procedure would be the best way to start.  It appears that you have a fair amount of rippling and so it would help if the lower abdominal wall skin could be stretched further and ultimately removed.  But this can only be determined in a consultation.  

My suggestion:  seek out a local PS and discuss your options.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Revision

+1

The tummy tuck result can be revised.  The amount of residual skin laxity will determine the extent of improvement that can be expected.  The cause of the necrosis must be fully understood.  You should make sure you seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE CREDENTIALS who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year. 

Can This Horrific Tummy Tuck Be Revised?

+1

I think that it can be improved. How much will depend upon having the kind of info that can only be acquired during a consultation, with checking the amount of skin elasticity, and determining  how much excess there is, and estimating how much of the scar can be removed and replaced by the available excess. There might be enough to remove the entire area of scarring. If that could be done you might have a small vertical scar from the closure of the navel, but in this setting I think that would be a fair trade-off. 

The navel could be made smaller during that procedure. It would be helpful to know if there is a clue as to why this may have occurred. Usually, unless in a smoker, there is not a smoking gun.

Thanks for sharing this difficult experience, and for the photos.  All the best. 

Tummy tuck problem

+1

Wow, that is some pretty bad scarring. Sorry you had to experience it.  It is possible to tidy things up.  It would depend on how much looseness there is in the remaining skin, particularly since some time has elapsed hopefully allowing the skin to stretch out a little.  It may not be able to be made perfect, but a revision could offer you substantial improvement.  Good luck.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Revision of tummy tuck scar

+1

First of all, it's important to rule out any medical issues that could have lead to this necrosis and subsequent scarring.  Smoking is the most common issue but that is not the case with you.  Other issues could include vascular disease or diabetes.  If you are in good health, it may be that the closure was too tight which lead to this problem. Or maybe you have a wound infection?   It's hard to say.

If I were to evaluate you, I would assess the health and elasticity of your skin and then possibly offer a revision.  At best this would leave you with a thin lower abdominal scar and an improved umbilicus.  One thing you need to realize is that scars can never be removed, only revised or replaced with a new and hopefully better scar. 

In any case, you should be evaluated by a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

+1

Your tummy can absolutely be revised.

Now for the long answer (which includes a number of questions):

1. the tissue loss that is suggested by your photos is very unusual in a nonsmoker. Is there an underlying condition that damaged the circulation in your tissues, and that may play a role in an eventual revision?

2. what are your expectations from a revision? You are in a situation where a perfect, or even a very good result, may not be obtainable. Your goal should be improvement, but the result will almost certainly fall short of what you might have wished for at the very beginning.

I recommend you arrange a consult with a very experienced aesthetic plastic surgeon. That person can assess your tissues and advise you how much of the scar can be removed. Be wary of anyone who promises you an outstanding result - you definitely want someone who under-promises and over-delivers.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon