Can I Do Mini (lower) Facelift After TMJ Surgery (Fat Graft Surgery or Bone Graft)?

can I do mini(lower) facelift after TMJ surgery (fat graft surgery or bone graft)? I had a fat graft surgery done (replacing the discs with fat in the belly). Right now, I'm in the healing processes. I just wonder if I can do just mini or lower facelift after the healing of the surgery is complete. It's to reduce my jowl. Thank you so much.

Facelift After TMJ Surgery

+1

From a surgical standpoint there is no reason one cannot have a facelift after TMJ surgery. It is important that your TMJ surgery has healed completely and your TMJ symptoms that still remain(if any) after surgery are documented carefully as we have had a few patients complain of TMJ problems after a facelift due to the suturing of he SMAS in front of the ear. It is important to know that facelift surgery does not cause TMJ problems.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear Giselle,

Thank you for your question. Yes, you can definitely have mini or lower face lift after TMJ surgery once you are fully healed.  Make sure your surgeon is aware of your prior surgery so that they are placing the sutures in stable tissue.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Face lift after TMG surgery

+1

Thank you for your question about a face lift after TMJ surgery.

• Whether a mini-lift or standard face lift, you can definitely have it done.
  • The mini-lift uses suspension sutures near the TMJ. Discuss with your surgeon where these will be placed to minimize post-operative pain.
  • The standard face lift tends to hurt less and have more flexible suture placement.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Mini-lift after TMJ surgery

+1

There is no reason why you can not have a mini-lift after TMJ and jaw surgery.  It would be wise to wait for any facial swelling to resolve so your plastic surgeon can easily operate on your facial tissues.  I am sure that your surgeon can advise you on timing.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

No problem with a lift

+1

Last week, I performed a mini lift on a patient who had bilateral TMJ surgery using a local muscle flap. The patient did great and there were no issues with the previous procedure and the areas I needed to fully rejuvenate the face and jowls. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Mini Facelift after TMJ Surgery

+1

Previous TMJ surgery will have no impact on your mini facelift. Talk to bothe surgeons to determine how long you should wait between procedures.

Facelift after TMJ surgery

+1

TMJ surgery goes deep to the plane of a facelift even though it often uses the same or similar scar. It should not be a problem to do a facelift after the healing is completed. You should ask your oral surgeon if that is possible and if he can recommend a board certified plastic surgeon that frequently performs this type of surgery.

William LoVerme, MD

MiniFacelift after TMJ Surgery

+1

To help with jowling, a lower facelift with enough undermining and suspension of the deeper tissues with suture would probably yield a better long term result than a minifacelift.  The TMJ surgery should not present any difficulty with performing the facelift, provided healing is complete.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mini facelift

+1

I dont think this should be a problem.  TMJ surgery does not typically pose an issue for facelift surgery. 

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini lift after tmj surgery.

+1

Should not be any problem with doing a mini lift after your tmj surgery with clearance from your tmj surgeon.