Have I lost my smooth jawline due to fat or lax skin? (Photo)

I already had ulthera, titan and it did not lift this area. It was suggested I do i lipo ot trusculpt. Makes sense, if thisis fat. I am very thin, thin neck. The ulthera did help my neck wrinkles, but not the middle neck area, as they do not put the laser in this area.

Correction of Neck Skin Laxity

+2
Although some of these devices can help smooth the skin of the face and neck, they can cause fat reduction under the treated areas which can cause loose or lax skin. The neck is a challenging area and the only way to correct this problem is by neck lift where the neck muscle and skin are tightened. 

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction will not tighten loose neck and jaw line skin

+1
Based on your photograph you're thin and do not have significant fat beneath her chin.

Therefore you will be disappointed with the results of liposuction or laser liposuction of the chin and neck.

Since you have tried the best available skin tightening techniques and are unsatisfied with the results I would urge you not to spend more on a procedure that will not tighten the skin shown in the photograph. Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon and consider having a proper neck and lower facelift for the best possible result.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Skin or fat on jawline

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.
My guess is that further non-invasive treatments were recommended to you by someone not certified to offer the full gamut of procedures designed for facial rejuvenation. Sometimes a surgical procedure is necessary and in your case, if redefining your jaw line is your goal, non of the non-surgical methods will do this effectively, unfortunately. You may have some excess fat as well, but that can be removed at the time of the face/neck lift procedure.I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Neck

+1
A redraping of the skin with a necklift via a small incision under the chin; would help the contour in that area. Liposculpture is not the answer if you are 'thin'.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

The aging neck...lipo v laser v surgery...what to do?? Ask Dr Ellen

+1
Your photographs reflect a combination of loose skin and underlying muscle, fat is not your problem.
No amount of superficial laser, light, ultrasound, etc is going to tighten this area-- if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is too good to be true.

Make the time to visit a board certified plastic surgeon and learn more about facial and neck lift surgery.  You appear to be a great candidate who would likely see worthwhile results!

Thanks for asking!

Dr Ellen Mahony

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Jawline changes are usually a combination of laxity and volume gain/loss

+1
You have tried a few of the most popular non-surgical devices that can tighten the skin. It is clear that these did not deliver enough improvement for you. Your photo indicates that the main issue is laxity and not excess fat. With more mature skin you would achieve more predictable and nicer improvements with a facelift. This canbe customized to focus just on the jaw line and upper neck if desired. Recovery from these limited procedures is shorter than most patients realize.  Laser assisted liposuction can be used to firm and tighten jaw line and neck skin as well. In selected patients, I use SmartLipo Triplex with continuous internal temperature monitoring to improve safety. Not all laser assisted lipo devices are created equal. I would not recommend i-lipo or trusculpt for your needs. Once you know your options, risks, costs and potential benefits you will more confidently be able to make an informed decision.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

+1
Given your starting point I think your best option is for a neck lift/lower face lift.  This will tighten the neck and address your jowls. Find an experienced plastic surgeon and after he or she examines you they will be able to offer you the most effective options.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

Face lift versus laser assisted lipo

+1
you will probably be best served with a submental plasty and face and neck lift.  I do use laser-assisted liposuction in cases like yours but with limited success.  There really is no liposuction to be done and in fact any liposuction performed is done simply to remove fluid that the laser has created when breaking down the limited fat that is there.  The idea of using some cutaneous lasers to tighten the skin is fairly well accepted but you are not a great candidate as you have laxity with very little fat.  That being said some patients in your position have chosen this treatment option because they have limited time to heal or limited funds.

all in all he would probably benefit most from a face neck lift and even fat transfer to other areas of the face.  Make sure to get consultations with board-certified facial plastic surgeons before proceeding.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jawline rejuvenation

+1
Liposuction is frequently utilized to eliminate a "double chin" and/or help sculpt a jawline.  However, your issue is skin laxity which is best addressed with surgical tightening of the neck muscles and neck skin (i.e. a necklift +/- a full facelift). Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Face lift for excess thin neck skin

+1
 The photograph shows excess inelastic, thin skin and the best  option for this is a facelift. For many examples of face neck lifts, please see the link below