Why Should We Avoid Suana/hot Tub After Ultherapy? If I Didn't, Will Something Bad Happen?

I just found some articles about how to take care of myself after ulthera. They say to avoid hot tub for the first week. However, I did ulthera last week, and I do hot tub every day. It's my habit. Is something bad going to happen? Does ulthera still work for me? I also get ibrupofen and fish oil, but I think it's fine for ulthera, am I right about this too?

Ultherapy hot tubs and motrin

+1

I recommend that people don't take much ibuprofen (Advil, Morin) or other non steroidal antiinflammatory agents such as Alleve, after the Ultherapy for skin lifting and tightening as those agents reduce the collagen that is produced from the Ultherapy. The collagen is the infrastructure of the dermis that supports the epidermis (skin surface). Tylenol (acetaminophen) does not prevent inflammation so it is appropriate to take this medication if needed provided you don't have restrictions from your doctor against taking it.

As Ultherapy does not induce open wounds, I'm not sure why anyone would prohibit the use of a hot tub after the treatment. This seems to be a concern that must not be based on clinical merit but a theoretical concern. If the 1.5 mm. transducer isused and there is superficial swelling causing a hive-like swelling, possibly the hot tub, if the facial skin is immersed, would cause more facial swelling in those "hives" from the heat from the hot tub,  which might make them open into sores and that would be a concern. I have never seen evidence that this could occur. However, if a patient is given medication by the doctor to relax them and pain medication to make them feel more comfortable during the Ultherapy, then a hot tub is to be avoided as the heat could lower the blood pressure significantly as those medications can lower the blood pressure too.

Post Ulthera protocols

+1

Giselle_9: Let me preface my comments by establishing that I am a fairly junior Ulthera practitioner, however I don't restrict patients on hot tubs or saunas afterwards.  On the other hand, my instructor recommended against routine and high doses of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as Motrin, Advil, Naproxen, afterwards because Ulthera microfocused ultrasound is intended to cause some inflammation, as a prequel to collagen stimulation.  None of my patients have required any post treatment pain killers, as the "pain" was limited to the time of treatment. I would check with your practitioner.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD