Scheduled for 2nd Labiaplasty Revision. Can I Ask for Full or Partial Refund?

I had labiaplasty in Aug and within a few weeks one side came "undone" and part of my labia was hanging off. I went to have it reattached that week, but within a week it had again come undone. The surgeon wanted to wait til Mid-Dec for the next revision, but now the labia has become even more detached so they want to schedule me ASAP. Can I ask for a refund? It's caused me so much pain, distress, & time, not to mention no sex for so many months & now it'll be even longer!

Labiaplasty revision

+1

In some cases, wound healing may be delayed because of blood supply, anatomy, or even smoking history.  Your surgeon is wise to now wait a longer period of time.  This may save you more revision work in the future if you choose to wait.

"Free" re-do after second labiaplasty problem?

+1

Without examining you, your surgeon's operative technique and reports, suture material choices, and your post-operative activities and degree of compliance, it is impossible to speculate as to why you keep having wound breakdown issues after labial surgery.

Even with "perfect" technique, durable suture choices, layered closure (or not), and following all your surgeon's directives, this is still a wet, warm, bacteria-rich environment that moves constantly, and is sit upon multiple times each day. And that's assuming no repetitive damage with sex either!

So you can see that there are no guarantees in surgery (or anything in life, actually), and the fee you paid is for performance of the agreed-upon surgery, NOT a specific outcome. I suspect your surgeon may not have even wanted to do this operation if s/he had know this series of events would occur!

Refund--no. Revisionary surgery for operating room and anesthesia fees only (no additional surgeon's fee) would be considered "standard" in most offices, but this is something that should have been discussed BEFORE your first operation, or at least your second!

It's also a cautionary tale to those who think surgery is "no big deal" and that they don't have to follow the surgeon's advice. Even when everything is done and followed properly, adverse events are still possible. Sorry for your troubles; good luck with getting this fixed for once and for all! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty separation

+1

Labiaplasty separation can happen even in the best of hands.  Labiaplasty separation probably occurs due to a number of factors such as too much activity, vigorous cleansing, and technical error in surgery.  Realize that even when multiple types of sutures are placed in multiple layers, the labia can still separate.  It separated the second time, because the tissues were inflamed and the sutures slipped through the weakened tissue.  Try not to be too hard on the surgeon, because he or she has made you wait.  This is absolutely the right thing to do. 

Always follow the post operative instructions after labiaplasty

+1

Unfortunately, one of the risks of plastic surgery is need for a revision.  Your surgeon gave you specific post op instructions, hopefully you followed them.  I would talk to your surgeon and get down to the root of why this keeps happening to you, hopefully you can prevent any further damage. 

Incisions 'falling' apart?

+1

I would like to know what your surgeon thinks the cause of your poor healing before simply going back to do more surgery.  I'm sorry too that you have had your problems and no sex as that can be quite frustrating. 

Assuming your problems aren't caused by some intrinsic problem with healing or your poor compliance with your surgeon's post-op instructions, a revision is certainly needed.  Hopefully your doctor has a policy that you were made aware of prior to surgery as it is not unreasonable to charge for services when it has nothing to do with the surgery itself.  Yet, trying to be a patient advocate, I personally do not charge if a third procedure is needed as my patient has been through enough by then.

Curtis Wong, MD

Refund for revision labiaplasty?

+1

Each surgeon has his/her own policy regarding cost and/or refund for revision surgery following an unanticipated outcome.  Thus I would have to refer you back to your operating surgeon to get the best answer in this case.  Glad to help...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD