Should I Quit Getting Extra Filler (Restylane) Under my Eyes? (photo)

I got Restylane under my eyes on July 31. I bruise a lot and my Doctor said I got to add more when the swelling and bruises will be gone. I haven't noticed much of change but only it got really bad bruising...I feel like I got it worse : ((( Could you plrase give me an advice on should I keep going with it or just stop with what I have?.... Thank you

Restylane to tear troughs

+2

It sounds like your Dr was being conservative with your injection, which is a good idea in this area. You will likely need more filler to meet your aesthetic expectations. Best of luck!

Restylane under the eyes

+2

Dear Tati_ana,

1. It is very common to do a touch up after the procedure and one month is perfect
  2. I usually inject more than 1cc in the first sitting to get better results
  3. The bruising can be minimized with good technique, ice, and blunt cannulas as seen in the video below

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Should I get more filler under my eyes

+2

It sounds like your doctor knew that you were going to need more filler and you guys had discussed it before beginning. Thus, you probably should have been more realistic with what you would see after one syringe, which really shouldn't have been an overwhelming change in this case. Stacking fillers, which is when you do one syringe, and then add more a few weeks or so later, is quite common when you need a good amount of volume but the patient is quite susceptible to bruising. Plus, the added bonus is that by stacking, often times both fillers actually last longer than if you'd put them in at the same time. I'd make an appointment with your doctor to discuss the situation, but remember the plan from the beginning was that one syringe was not going to be enough of a change for what you needed.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Tear trough injections

+1

Hi Tatiana. If you aren't fully satisfied with the first amount, you would probably benefit from more. The tear troughs bruise very easily, so I would make sure you don't have the injections done before any big social events in the case that you do bruise. Best of luck!

Extra filler under the eyes

+1

Restylane is a great filler under the eyes in the tear trough. Make sure you are getting your treatments by a highly trained and experienced physician such as a dermatologist since this is both a risky area, and a more challenging area to do a great job on. There are also many ways to minimize or avoid bruising, so make sure your physician is well-versed in counselling you on this. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane under the eyes

+1

Placing a hyaluronic acid filler below the eyes to treat the tear trough is my least favorite, but perhaps, the most commonly requested, location for such a filler.  The problem is, of course, the vascularity (large number of blood vessels) in this area which may lead to bruising.  Certainly, once the bruising abates, it is perfectly ok to proceed with additional filler.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane under the eyes

+1

Please wait another 2 weeks and if you are not happy with your result, return to your doctor for assessment.  You may require more Restylane to achieve the result you desire.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist