Age 30, 5ft7, 154lbs with 2 kids: Mini or Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I have 2 kids, I am 30. I am 5'7" and weight 154lb. I want some ideas. I want surgery but not sure if I want a full tuck. Is there such a thing as a mini tuck with umbilicoplasty? I don't think that my belly looks that bad, but I am not happy with it. Thanks

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

+3

Many of us have learned over the years that very few women are really good candidates for a Mini TT...We all tried it early in our practices and then had way too many patients come back unhappy, with a tight lower abdomen and then a really loose, bulging upper tummy and wondering why we didn't do a full TT!!! From the one view we have, I would suggest the full TT...You don't seem to fit that ideal Mini TT patient, and honestly, most do not...

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Photos posted are TOOO close up to see complete abdomen. So you see the options: min TT, extended mini TT, Free Floating umbilical TT, Short scar full TT, Full TT. So many options available that ONLY IN OERSON examinations can allow you to fully understand these options. 

Many options in abdominal contouring

+2

You will need a full examination to determine if you are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty.  There are many approaches to correcting the contour of the abdomen.  Basically as plastic surgeons we evaluate 4 components of the abdominal bulge, skin, subcutaneous fat, muscle fascia laxity and intra-abdominal or visceral fat.  The first three we can treat surgically.  For instance, if your skin is firm and has good elasticity and you have minimal laxity of the fascia then you may be a candidate for only liposuction.  In other cases, where all 3 components are abnormal then a standard abdominoplasty is the answer.  There are many variations to improving the abdominal contour and each individual needs to consider and become educated on the alternatives and together with an interested plastic surgeon determine which operation will give you the best result.  The goal is always patient satisfaction.  Our goal is to provided a guided expectations.  In this way, at the end of the day, you as the patient are satisfied with the result.  A mini-abdominoplasty will not be a good substitute operation if you have multiple stretch marks above the umbilicus, redundant skin of the upper and lower abdomen and a prominent abdominal bulge due to laxity of the anterior abdominal fascia.  

Tummy Tuck or Other

+2

Unfortunately, even with the pictures it is impossible to advise you what you need to achieve your goals. To determine if an abdominoplasty would be advisable, we measure the excess skin above the umbilicus and determine if it is enough to stretch from the chest to the pubis. From the pictures, I would guess that you may not have enough. You also do not look like a candidate for a mini-tummy tuck either. It is possible that you could be a candidate for liposuction or Zerona™ laser fat melting. Again, only an in person consultation could tell this. Therefore, you need to find a board certified plastic surgeon and go for a consult to see what you are a candidate for and what will best achieve your goals.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

+2

Although you do not have a picture showing the whole abdomen, you appear to have a very high belly button.  You also appear to have insufficient skin to pull the belly button out without having a significant vertical scar.  These are all technical items that need to be addressed in person.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Laser liposuction alone or with miniTummy Tuck may be your best option

+1

Thank you for your question. Formal examination is necessary to offer an opinion. However from your photographs it looks as though subcutaneous fat is more of a problem than loose skin. If this is the case you should consider liposuction to reduce the amount of fat under the skin. Laser liposuction can produce some skin tightening and could be all that you need. However if the lax skin is significant a Tummy Tuck, most likely a mini Tummy Tuck may be required. In some cases a mini Tummy Tuck may be combined with an upper abdominal laser liposuction.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, is experienced in tummy Tuck surgery, and has an excellent reputation in your community.The link below provides information on how to decide if you need a Tummy Tuck.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

+1

The choice of a mini or full tummy tuck should depend on the extent of loose skin and/or muscle on your abdominal wall.  Excess fat can be reduced nicely with liposuction, but if there is a lot of loose skin, then some type of a tuck will be necessary.  If the skin looseness is limited to the lower belly (below the belly button), then a mini tuck will suffice.  This is less extensive with a shorter scar.  However, if skin looseness extends above the belly button into the upper abdomen, the a full tummy tuck is necessary to achieve the best smoothing and firming of your belly wall.  It is difficult to tell from your photos how much loose skin would result after the lipo fat removal.  You would need a thorough exam by your doctor, and then discuss your options. 

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

+1

I think a full tummy tuck is what you need. Mini tummy tucks are usually for specific regions in the lower abdomen.  Please see a board certified Plastic Surgeon for consultation.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs. Full Tummy tuck

+1

The decision for mini or full tummy tuck depends on the results you are looking for  mostly.  The main difference is a mini-tummy tuck has a slightly shorter scar (both scars are very low like a c-section scar) where the full abdominoplasty has a scar from hip to hip.  The full abdominoplasty can take out all the skin, fat, and stretch marks from just above your belly button to your pubic bone and tighten your muscles all the way up to your rib cage.  Personally, I think this would give you the best result.  A mini-tummy tuck can take out less skin, fat, and stretch marks and usually involves tightening the lower abdominal muscles.  Good luck! K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

+1

Hard to tell for sure from front view only, but even this angle shows enough of a bulge that I believe mini-tummy tuck will prove disappointing.  Full tummy tuck flattens abdomen both above and below belly button, narrows waist (although yours is already nicely shaped), and removes more skin than mini-tummy tuck.  The result is more natural and proportionate from a full tummy tuck, in my opinion.  Mini-tummy tuck reserved for those with flat, tight abdominal wall above belly button, just bulge and/or excess skin below belly button.

Steve Laverson, MD